AS KOOL AND The Gang famously sang, “Celebrate good times, c’mon / Let’s celebrate!” This St. Patty’s Day will be no different. Regardless of whether we’re Irish or not, most of us are going to hit the town, while painting it green and white.

One of the grandest secular celebrations of all time, March 17 brings on the good times and spawns epic parties in all corners of the globe. But if you’re anxiously waiting for St. Patrick’s Day to roll around—and can’t wait a second longer—the Fulcrum has decided to list off some of the best party movies of all time. Hopefully this list will keep you sated until you can shimmy the shamrock-filled night away.

Superbad 

5/5

Penned by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, Superbad is a must-see for any party movie lover. Following three unpopular high-school seniors in their quest for acceptance, this movie covers topics such as under-age drinking, sexual relations, and typical teen angst in a funny light.

Superbad stars Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse as a group of three lovable but dorky teens who try to score some booze for a party they miraculously got an invite to. Hill’s character sees the bash as a chance to date his dream girl and will do anything to deliver the liquid goods.

Despite this golden opportunity, the trio still manages to get themselves into a bunch of trouble and almost miss the party. Spawning the famous nickname of “McLovin” and filled with an epic car chase, this film will have you laughing seconds after the opening credits.

This movie isn’t just shits and giggles. It also explores the apprehension most teens face at the end of their high-school careers and how relationships change and evolve, giving Superbad a real edge.

If you’re in a partying mood, but only have a couple of hours on your hands, Superbad would be the ideal substitute. Ultimately, there are two types of people: Those who have seen Superbad and those who haven’t. Ask yourself this: Which category do I want to be put into?

—Sofia Hashi

Project X

3/5

PROJECT X FOLLOWS three Superbad-esque high-school students planning a bash they hope will get them noticed, but quickly spirals out of control. The concept is cliché and the film is another on the found footage bandwagon, but what Project X lacks in originality it makes up for with epic party scenes set to the tune of the best party songs possible.

Alongside the standard party activities, Project X also brings in new levels of ridiculous and wild events that unfold seemingly never stop. A beer funnel that channels 50 hoses down from a tree house gets only five seconds of screen time to give audiences a glimpse of how crazy the party became.

The plot is predictable and the plights of the main characters are unremarkable and stereotypical. Despite this, the movie is funny and much of the unexpected humour derives from characters with small roles.

Project X is fast paced and entertaining if taken for what it is: An impressive party caught on film. Although none of us got an official invite, Project X gives us a chance to gate crash and have a good time.

—Marie Hoesktra

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

5/5

BUELLER … BUELLER …

For  those of you who haven’t ventured into the world of movies from the decade of neon leggings, white suit jackets, and wicker shoes, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off has, for years, been an instructional film for students looking to ditch school and make it a hell of a day off.

Ferris, his girlfriend Sloane, and his best friend Cameron skip class and take Cameron’s dad’s Ferrari for the ultimate joyride through Chicago—all the while outsmarting their paranoid principal, Mr. Rooney.

Since debuting in his role of Ferris Bueller, Matthew Broderick hasn’t been able to shake his alter ego—so much so that Broderick filmed a Honda Superbowl ad this year as his good old friend Bueller.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is the ultimate “screw educational authority” movie, and thanks to this 1986 classic, Bueller is by far the most beloved last name on the big screen.

—Emily Jackson

Dazed and Confused

4/5

DESPITE THE FACT that writer and director Richard Linklater wears his love of the 1970s on his sleeve in Dazed and Confused, the movie remains timeless because of the way it captures teenage angst and other coming of age themes on screen.

The film follows a large group of recognizable high-school archetypes over a 24-hour period, most of whom participate in a full day of partying to celebrate the end of the school year. There is a lot of booze, weed, and good times in the film, but a feeling of uncertainty lingers in the air, as the more introspective figures in the group realize they are finally growing up and do not know what to make of it.

In the wrong hands, this movie could have easily turned into a pointless, meandering mess. But thanks to Linklater’s poignant script, a magnificent soundtrack, and the natural, believable performances delivered by the entire cast, it doesn’t. Even though all the clothes, music, and cars on display hail from a decade most of today’s youth have no connection to, the movie still resonates with any young adults who are wary of the future—or are just dazed and confused.

—Kyle Darbyson