Gee-Gees

Gee-Gees fall to Ravens in OUA East finals

Maclaine Chadwick | Fulcrum Staff

Photo by Justin Labelle 

In their third match of the season, the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East Division finals, the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees women’s basketball team fell 50-43 to the Carleton University Ravens. The game pitted the 6th and 7th nationally ranked teams and rivals against each other and secured Carleton a trip to the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) national championships in Regina, Sask., from March 16–17.

After a low-scoring first quarter, which ended 8-5 in favour of the Ravens, the Gee-Gees went on a nine-point scoring run in the second quarter and tied the Ravens 16-16. Shooting was neck-and-neck from that point on, and heading into halftime the Ravens held a one-point lead over the Gee-Gees, at 23-22.

Key scoring from rookie Catherine Traer, second-year guard Kim Cupid, and second-year forward Ariane Lachance-Scantland in the third quarter brought the Gees to a 36-33 lead. Slow scoring at the beginning of the fourth quarter gave the Ravens an edge, but as the clock wound down, the Gees stayed within sight of a win after a three-point shot from Jenna Gilbert brought the score to 46-43. A missed rebound allowed Carleton to take the game 50-43, giving them the title of OUA East champions.

Traer led the scoreboard with 11 points and seven rebounds, followed by second-year centre Maddie Stephen, who had seven rebounds and six defensive rebounds.

Playing without starting second-year point guard Kellie Ring, who is out for the remainder of the season with an ACL injury, meant more court time for Cupid, who got six steals in the game.

Following the game, head coach Andy Sparks said the loss was “disappointing for some of the girls,” but seemed satisfied with the team’s play.

“They did a great job defensively and we didn’t make the shots when we had the opportunity … Catherine Traer did a great job attacking the rim and making positive things happen,” said Sparks. “Overall, it was what it was.”

The Gee-Gees will face the McMaster University Marauders for the OUA bronze medal on Saturday, March 9 at Montpetit Hall. The team hopes for a win, which, along with a win against the St. Mary’s University Huskies, would get them a wildcard spot at the CIS national championships.