Heckles

How you can find money too

Sofia Hashi | Fulcrum Staff

MARCH 15 STARTED like any other day for Lee Granger, but soon turned into a day he’ll never forget. The 21-year-old music student woke up and went to class at the University of Ottawa. While shuffling across campus at lunchtime, Granger found cold hard cash lying on the ground.

I found 20 whole dollars while walking through the unicentre,” said Granger in a press conference held by the U of O.

“It was hands down the best moment of my life,” he added.

During the press conference, Granger stated he has been preparing for this day for years.

“It’s something you train for, but never know when it’s going to happen,” he said.

“I’ve gotten all sorts of questions asking me how I did it and if I could give some advice: it’s just keep at it. Finding money is difficult and tough to prep for. Sometimes you feel like giving up, but don’t. Just keep going,” he added.

While Granger did share some training tips, like looking down while you’re walking and knowing the difference between a shiny wrapper and a quarter, he mentioned that the best way to find spare change is to simply be positive.

“Sure, a healthy diet and some exercise go a long way, but the most important thing is to believe you’re going to find money,” he said.

“I found that through pure belief and positive vibes I was able to find some much-needed cash.”

How Granger was able to come across the $20 bill is something all U of O students would like to know—hence the press conference.

“It’s just amazing. If one of our own students can find a whole $20 bill, then imagine what the rest of us can do,” said Diana Khalid, a second-year biochemistry student.

Thanks to Granger’s success, a new campus group called Get Yo Money and Paid Today (GYMPT) has seen sign-up numbers skyrocket. Eliza Banks, the group’s president, said Granger’s work has inspired other students to reach for that dream of stumbling upon riches.

“It’s hard being a student today. There are just way too many expenses, and scholarships and bursaries can be so fickle,” said Banks. “If only students could shift their energy into finding money instead of earning it, we’d have a lot less financially troubled students.”

While Banks herself has only found a total of $5.64 lying around, she hopes to employ Granger’s methods of walking more, keeping up endurance, and eating carrots for good eyesight to increase her acquired cash flow in the future. The group has even booked Granger for a private talk.

Granger’s presence at GYMPT may make the club more popular among students, but Banks asserts that it’s the group’s weekly meetings that will do the most towards honing students’ cash-spotting skills.

“People who come out just for Granger’s talk will gain some knowledge about finding money, but not enough,” she said.

“What’s important is for students to attend regularly. They’ll increase their chances of finding money that way because of the tips we give and because of our training schedule that we tailor to every student’s level.

“Also, the more trips you make by foot, the more changes your foot will land on some change,” Banks added.

Ultimately, Granger hopes students see that his story is not just a fairy tale, and that it could happen to anyone who trains hard enough.

“If you really want something, you work really hard to achieve your goal. I wanted money and found it,” said Granger. “That could be you too.”