Women’s soccer dominates weekend’s games against Laurentian and Nipissing

With the exception of two tied games against Queen’s and Carleton, the Gee-Gees’ varsity women’s soccer team has dominated this season.

With the number one Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) ranking and four players in the top 10 for Ontario University Athletics (OUA) scoring, including the top two scorers in Ontario—Pilar Khoury and Gees’ captain Krista Draycott—head coach Steve Johnson has the team primed for a run at the provincial and national championships.

The women’s squad is one of eight undefeated teams in the country. As impressive as this is, the team has yet to play at its full potential on the field because Steve Johnson has been “taking his foot off the pedal” and will be in upcoming games.

This past weekend the team defeated a feisty Laurentian University squad on Sept. 28, overcoming an early deficit and questionable decisions by the referee.  They won the game with a final score of 4–2. They followed that victory by trouncing Nipissing University the following day on Sept. 29, with a 9–1 win.

Third-year health science major Gees’ forward Pilar Khoury said despite being proud of her team’s performance, they could still improve.  Last season they only allowed a single goal to get by them all season; in the past two games alone they allowed three.

The women showed they could adapt to any opponent as they played a physical game versus Laurentian and a more skill-oriented game against Nipissing.  The two games marked their transition through the halfway point of the season.

The Gee-Gees have two noteworthy upcoming games: the first one will be against Queen’s University on Oct. 5, which was one of two teams the Gees tied against earlier in the season. The last time these teams met was the home opener at Matt Anthony field, which meant the Gees had the support of their home fans.

The second key game will be the show down against Carleton University.