William Morrison, a first-year criminology student, learned first-hand about the discrepancy between northern and southern Canadian culture on his trade mission trip to Nunavut from Oct. 30 to Nov. 3.

He is a member of Global Vision, a non-profit organization created by former Member of Parliament Terry Clifford.

Global Vision’s goal with the Nunavut mission is to engage the Arctic Council with its southern peers. It involved listening to speakers from the local community and learning about the issues of Nunavut residents.

Morrison has been involved with Global Vision for more than three years.

“The skills learned from Global Vision will help with my professional goals in life,” he wrote in an email to the Fulcrum. “I am going to fly home with a suitcase full of new experiences and a contact list of new friends from all three coasts of our great nation, while at the same having a better understanding of the northern way of life and their rich culture.”

He said there is a “devastating lack of connection” between northern and southern Canada.

“When I started telling people about this trip they asked why Nunavut, but when I say I go on a day trip to Toronto, people just say that’s nice and it’s normal,” he said.

Morrison also spoke of the various issues of modern-day Nunavut, like the European Union’s ban on seal furs, the elevated costs of commodities, and the opening of the Northwest Passage.

Global Vision has been recognized for its excellence by five prime ministers for providing an opportunity for Canadian youth to experience and learn about the various aspects of Canadian identity.