Philanthropic club engages campus and community in service

Photo courtesy of Hadi Wess

Activities on campus that seem to go unnoticed often pack the biggest punch.

Seek to Speak  is a non-profit philanthropic organization with roots at the University of Ottawa and in countries around the world. The club’s mission is to engage the public in all aspects of well-being, including physical, emotional, and mental.

On Tuesday, March 4 the club’s first large fundraiser will be hitting the stage at the Alumni Auditorium at 7 p.m. So uOttawa, Think You Can Dance? will feature a collaboration of campus dance crews, teams, and individuals, as well as a panel of judges. Admission is free, but donations are accepted at the door.

In addition to hosting the dance competition, the club does work assisting children in shelters, seniors in retirement facilities, and patients in hospitals.

“Rather than just give kids toys, we want them to learn, to be engaged,” said Peter Scalia, vp social of the club.

Each executive member also has a different cultural background and Seek to Speak aims to bring this influence and passion into their work by providing language teaching to those who cannot afford it or may not otherwise have the opportunity to learn.

While the club is registered with the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa club president Hadi Wess said the club’s aim has a much larger scope than the university campus. It also looks to become a strong community partner with many registered organizations city-wide.

“I want to give everyone the chance to volunteer with a strong organization where they can give back and still learn themselves,” he said. “Students know how hard it is to get a volunteer position at CHEO or the other Ottawa healthcare-related organizations.”

Wess founded the club in April 2013. While it might seem like an odd time to start an on-campus club, the planning and logistics were dead on. He spent the summer and first semester recruiting executives to fill club positions and engaging a strong and committed volunteer base.

He also spent a lot of time making connections on campus and in the city, and ensuring his volunteers were qualified to help at community centres through police checks and previous work experience.

“First semester was all about laying the foundation for our work this semester and for the future,” Scalia said.

With a successful bake sale fundraiser in first semester, the team is setting the stage for putting the club’s goals into effect.

This semester the club is kick-starting their volunteer escapades with several opportunities. At the Jack Purcell Community Centre downtown, volunteers will be working with young children with disabilities. They’ll be helping the children through physical exercises and artistic and social activities to improve their physical well-being. The club will also be working at the Caldwell Family Centre, where the focus will be on teaching English and engaging children in cultural, language, and physical exercises.

More club information can be found on their Facebook page or their website.