Fitness & Health

All-around benefits from the sour yellow fruit

Photo credit: Keith Tsuji (cc)

Water is boring, and I am tired of being dehydrated from my two cups of coffee every day. I overuse my Chapstick, and I’m constantly in need of lotion. So what’s a better way to stay hydrated, especially when spring and summer are coming up? Enhance mother nature’s H2O by cutting up some lemon slices and adding them to your water for the day. Lemon water has many benefits, so get familiar with them, and spring clean your body .

Defeats constipation

• Lemons help with constipation. According to Dr. Mehmet Oz, its acidic nature can help in the production of digestive juices in the stomach. If you have trouble pooping because of exam stress, lemon water might just do the trick. Might as well try anything to get the ball rolling.

Freshens the skin

• The antiseptic nature of lemons cleanses the skin thoroughly. Daily drinking of lemon water will make a huge difference, which will result in the healthy glow all ladies yearn for. Vitamin C also decreases the look of wrinkles and blemishes.

Boosts the brains

• Lemons are known for their Vitamin C, but they also contain an ample amount of potassium. This helps with brain, heart and nerve function. For a natural way to get your brain running and your body feeling healthy, lemon water is the way to go.

Pumps the immune system

• It’s that time of year of going out, and poor eating habits. There’s a reason why we’re always drawn to orange juice when we’re sick. The same thing applies to lemons. Vitamin C can fight off infection and keep that body going.

Cleans the liver

• According to author and soy foods pioneer Jethro Kloss in his book Back to Eden, the lemon is a great stimulant to the liver, and also assists in cleansing the system of impurities and other poisons. So after your exams and all those shots of tequila, remember that your liver is taking a beating. The following few days, drink up the lemon water, and take in the benefits of this sour yellow fruit.  f