Student fundraiser to help Children’s Hospital

IF STUDENTS ARE looking to see how their peers are giving back this holiday season, the CASCO show would be the perfect place to start. The Telfer School of Management Charity Organization, CASCO, has organized a two-night show on Dec. 4–5 at the Delta Hotel to raise funds for a child in need. The show offers an exciting mix of dance, fashion, and music from a cast comprised of 60 students, primarily from Telfer.

CASCO raises money for the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) Foundation through this event annually. For the past 12 years, CASCO have been putting on shows to contribute to the community.

Meeting every Sunday this semester to prepare for the show, the CASCO executive choreography team has designed all of the dance numbers. There will also be singers and musicians performing in the show, and there are models included in some numbers. Many companies, including American Apparel and others local to Ottawa, have sponsored the clothing being modelled.

“It also supports a wonderful cause for a hospital that saves the lives of children every day,” said Rachel Cogan, the choreographer of CASCO’s creative team. “The show is spectacular, colourful, and a great way to spend a Sunday evening.”

The show raises money for the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Foundation—specifically, to sponsor a child. This year’s show is dedicated to covering the medical costs of an Ethiopian child who was recently rushed to Canada to get his eye removed as treatment for a rare form of cancer.

“Students should come see the show to see how their peers are giving back to their community through the art of dance, music, and fashion,” said Cogan.

CASCO successfully unites hundreds of students, business professionals, and community members every year to promote social responsibility among business students. Cogan says all of this is to “teach future leaders to always remember to act in a socially responsible manner, and [to give] back to the communities that they live in.”

The premiere night includes a cocktail hour at 6:30 p.m., before the show that starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $10, and are available for purchase at the door. CASCO is also accepting donations online at Cascocanada.com

—Emily Glass