Photo courtesy of Enrico Agostoni, CC

Why it’s famous:

The film adaption of Alan Moore’s graphic novel, V for Vendetta is probably one of the most iconic films of this generation. The film establishes itself as a poetic yet politically charged revolutionary call to arms that has influenced social movements around the word. It is best known for its novel use of the Guy Fawkes mask, which has become an unavoidable face used in protests such as the Occupy Wall Street movement and the Arab Spring uprising.

Famous lines:

Evey Hammond: Remember, remember, the fifth of November, the Gunpowder Treason and Plot. I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot.

V: IBeneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

V: People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Why you haven’t seen it:

You were busy doing other stuff in 2005. I don’t know what. But it cannot have been useful if it prevented you from watching this. Shame on you.

Why it might be tough to get through:

As iconic as this movie has become, it is not devoid of Hollywood cheese. If you appreciate subtlety, you might have a bit of trouble dealing with this one. The parallels, references, and metaphors are transparent, the message can get a little in-your-face, and it has a tendency to be over-the-top.

Why you should see it anyway:

This is an unavoidable movie that is relevant whenever there is political discontent. Crafted with incredible artistry and attention to detail, no matter how cheesy you might find it at times, it remains a powerful, entertaining, and profound movie with a message that’s relatable in today’s political times.

Fun Facts:

• During the domino scene, V tips over black and red dominoes to form a giant letter V. Producers needed 22,000 dominoes to shoot the sequence. It took four professional domino assemblers 200 hours to set it up.
  • During the introduction of V to Evey, V uses words that begin with “v” 48 times.
  • Certain scenes feature James Purefoy as V, who was originally cast in the role but was replaced by Hugo Weaving four weeks into filming. Weaving’s voice was simply dubbed over Purefoy’s performance.