Must-see movies required for a successful existence

Why it’s famous: A complex, existential film that builds a metaphor about the numbness of consumerism and the need to feel alive through powerful scenes of basement fist fighting.

Famous lines:

Tyler Durden: “It’s only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything.”

Tyler Durden: “The things you own end up owning you.”

Tyler Durden: “Welcome to Fight Club. The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club.”

Why you haven’t seen it: You saw the movie poster, you were confused as to why the title is engraved on a bar of soap, and you decided it couldn’t possibly contain anything better than the fights you never watch on TSN.

Why it might be tough to get through: This isn’t a movie you can half watch. The plot is complex and confusing at times, it’s full of metaphors and symbolism, and if you don’t commit to the whole 139 minutes, the subtleties of the movie’s message will be lost on you.

Why you should see it anyway: Despite its title, this movie is about much more than a bunch of testosterone-charged males fighting in basements for fun. It’s actually a philosophical and well-constructed comment about the consumerism that prevents us from questioning our way of life. Aside from giving you some great quotes to reference, it’s also a good conversation-starter. Hours of existential debate may ensue.

Fun facts:

• Brad Pitt and Edward Norton both actually learned how to make soap.

• In the short scene when Pitt and Norton are drunk and hitting golf balls, they really are drunk, and the golf balls are sailing directly into the side of the catering truck.