The holidays are almost upon us and what better way to celebrate than by cozying up indoors and celebrating God’s gift to man: ice-cold beer.

The following list can be drunk (or sung) in any order, but I highly recommend Waupoos Cider as the antidote for Christmas Day, and the inevitable extended hours sitting with family members that comes with it.

1. Spearhead Brewing Company’s Hawaiian Style Pale Ale: For that night when you want to dull the pain of your last exam and sink slowly into the bliss of Christmas carols.

2. Waupoos Cider: There are common ciders that taste like nothing more than glorified alcoholic apple juice, and then there’s Waupoos. A night with Waupoos will make any evening special, even if it’s spent watching Love Actually with your mom.

3. Mill Street Tankhouse Ale: Bitter but impossible to resist, this classic is like that high school ex you know should avoid, but always seem to call during the holiday break.

4. Vanilla Porter: This beer defies logic. The distinct vanilla flavour should appal you, but it inexplicably delights you—just like eggnog.

5. Delirium Tremens: This is a Belgian wheat beer done right. Strong and complex, you are meant to enjoy this beer slowly but thoroughly. Make sure to drink it on a full stomach, because it has the capacity to take you out in one shot.

6. Muskoka Brewery’s Mad Tom IPA: Of all the recent additions to the trendy category of IPA, this one’s the best. Only try it if you know you enjoy hoppy beers.

7. G. Schneider & Sohn’s Aventitus: One of the best German wheat beers available at the LCBO, this classic has the subtle sweetness expected in a wheat beer, but also has unexpected smoothness with a hint of banana. It’s perfect for that night when you want to try something new without getting out of your pyjamas.

8. Creemore Springs Premium Lager: Although probably a little overrated among Canadian beer fans, this lager is still an easy-to-drink, smooth, and enjoyable choice. Just don’t plan a night around it.

9. Coors Banquet Beer: This one’s recently been introduced to Canada, and unlike its piss-flavoured sibling, it’s actually good.

10. Miller Lite: It’s like that American cousin of yours who’s obnoxious and ignorant, but makes family gatherings lively and entertaining. Light, American beer done right.

11. Unibroue’s La Fin du Monde: It’s like that older cousin who parties way harder than you do. Intimidating, but enjoyable, I dare you to try to get through a six-pack on New Year’s.

12. Church-Key Red: This local Irish-style ale is consistent and enjoyable. It’s like watching It’s a Wonderful Life—you know what you’re going to get, but it actually becomes more enjoyable each time you try it.