Student-owned record store lives up to its name, shuts down after two years

Max Szyc | Fulcrum Staff

Photo by Justin Labelle

THE FINAL WEEKEND of local vinyl outlet The Record Shaap might’ve been more of a funeral proceeding, complete as it was with grim faces and offers of condolences while people purchased discounted vinyl records and CDs. Yes, it was a sombre affair, but one couldn’t help noticing the high spirits of store owner Matty McGovern.

The Record Shaap closed its doors for good on Nov. 25, not much more than two years after it opened in July 2010. But McGovern—who is completing a second degree in religious studies at the University of Ottawa—was cheery as he helped customers find items and play music they were curious to hear. He also had paper cups filled with multiple flavours of free chips.

Over at 209 Gilmour St. just off Elgin, the Shaap was going out with a bang.

The Record Shaap was named after the Hindi word for “curse,” which couldn’t be more fitting. McGovern previously worked at four local record shops: Record Runner, Organised Sound, CD Exchange, and End Hits, all of which eventually closed down. However, the Shaap’s closing wasn’t an entirely financial decision; Gypsy & Company, the vintage clothing and accessory store that leased out its basement to McGovern for a small price, decided to pack up shop and move its inventory online. Out of options, McGovern figured it was too early to think about starting another shop.

“I wouldn’t be opposed, but I want to enjoy unemployment for now,” said McGovern. “I’d also want to do it with someone else next time.”

McGovern initially wanted to launch his own store after Record Runner closed its doors on Rideau Street in 2006 following 30 years of business. But when his friend and co-worker Dave Ward launched End Hits with Spectrasonic (then Revolution Rock) and Punkottawa.com founder Shawn Scallen, McGovern decided he didn’t want to compete. After working at End Hits until it closed in 2010, he figured if he was ever going to open his own store, he had to do it then or it probably wouldn’t happen.

Running the Shaap was a daunting task at first; McGovern was so used to simply working at stores that he didn’t realize how different it was to actually run the operation, especially when it came to ordering albums.

“It was tough at first because when I did my first order, I realized I was mostly ordering things that I liked,” said McGovern. “I realized that you had to bite the bullet and order stuff you hated, because it sells.”

Despite the closure of yet another independent record store, McGovern is still optimistic about the industry overall.

“Sure, some stores are going to close,” he said. “But there are always going to be people who want to go into a store and buy music, whether it’s on CD or vinyl.”

Indeed, vinyl sales have been climbing in recent years. As for small record shops, McGovern prophesizes that they’ll continue to prosper as a niche market—the way he sees it, no matter how much music the big chains keep in stock, they’ll never be able to specialize in independent music the same way small record shops can.

It will remain to be seen whether or not McGovern decides to try his hand at running another store. Right now, it’s time for him to focus on his personal life.
Judging by all the customers who helped the store thrive and who visited one last time on its closing weekend, a new vinyl venture for McGovern wouldn’t be a stretch. And here’s hoping that if he does return, he brings the chip cups with him.