What students can expect from this year’s festivities

THIS YEAR’S 101 Week is jammed with events for both new and returning students to enjoy—and Fedstock is no exception. The Student Federation of the University of Ottawa (SFUO) will be continuing its Fedstock tradition, hosting the outdoor concert on Sept. 10 right after a Gee-Gees football game at Frank Clair Stadium.

“Fedstock is the big orientation week concert to kick off the school year. It features a whole bunch of current bands and really interesting music,” explains SFUO VP Social Marie-Claude Noël. “As well, it’s a great way [for] students to get to know the SFUO services and meet other students from different faculties. It’s a good way to end the summer.”

Having attracted names such as 30 Seconds to Mars, Hedley, and Alexisonfire in the past, the concert usually features one English and one French headliner, along with two supporting acts. This year, students can look forward to seeing popular acts Karkwa and Down with Webster.

Formed in 1998, Karkwa is a five-piece band that hails from Montreal, Que. Playing primarily rock, U of O students can enjoy listening to hits off the band’s latest album, Les chemins de verre, released last year.

Known for singles “Your Man” and “Whoa Is Me”, the Torontonian band Down with Webster combines rap and rock music to create a distinct sound. Having opened for acts such as Black Eyed Peas and Timbaland, the six-man band will be entertaining students with their Juno-nominated album Time to Win, Vol. 1.

One significant change from past Fedstocks students will be seeing this year is its move from Jacques Cartier Park to Lebreton Flats. Its movement from Gatineau to our side of the border means Fedstock will be an alcohol-free event, unlike the previous year. Noël reassures students this shouldn’t be a problem.

“Fedstock is completely dry this year. There will be no drinking, especially because it is in Ontario. Not many of the 101-ers can drink,” says Noël. “We also think that it is just a better environment. That way everyone who wants to come can come and no one is limited by the fact that there may be alcohol served.”

Students can look forward to more than a concert at Fedstock. With a variety of events, including a barbecue and live DJ, students can count on having a good time.

“It’s a fun time; you get to hang out. There’s a BBQ benefiting Shinerama,” says Noël. “We’ll bring some Frisbees and footballs so people can throw things around in the back and entertain themselves. There’s so much space; there’s room to sit, eat, and chat. It’s a good hangout place,”

—Sofia Hashi