Environment Canada engineer talks about day-to-day survival

Martina Gannon | Fulcrum Staff

THE UNIVERSITY OF Ottawa’s Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) group held the first conference of its Inspiring Women Series at the SITE building on Nov. 7.

The evening’s lecture was delivered by U of O graduate Mia Batchelor, who is currently three years into her much-loved career as a senior program engineer with Environment Canada.

Batchelor works with her team on regulations of vehicle and engine emissions. Before she started at her current position, she spent three years as a process engineer for one of Ottawa’s high-tech biomedical companies. Batchelor is now married with two children.

“There is no such thing as a work/life balance,” Batchelor told her audience.

Day-to-day survival is more important than long-term survival, she said. Batchelor told stories of the highs and lows of her career and family life and spoke about how appreciating life and having a sense of humour are important factors in getting by.

Google employee Cate Huston revived the U of O branch of WISE four years ago. There are currently seven female engineering and science members on the executive committee, led by co-presidents Krystle Talbot and Levannia Lildhar.

“WISE was originally set up to provide a forum for women in science and engineering, connecting students and professionals across various sectors, and carrying out valuable outreach programs to encourage the pursuit of science and engineering amongst girls of all ages,” said Talbot.

WISE communications vice-president Hidayet Abbad said the overall aim of the group is “to create a network for women in science and engineering so that they don’t feel like they are lacking resources, especially for those in male-dominant fields, such as mechanical engineering.”

“We provide information and opportunities to grow professionally, academically, and personally in science and engineering fields,” said Abbad. “We are currently in the process of creating a mentorship program whereby we would pair up someone from the professional field with a grad student, and for undergrad students we also offer special workshops and many more exciting events to help women [and] encourage them in whatever path they are taking in their field.”

Abbad added that being part of WISE has enriched her experience as a student.

“I am in mechanical engineering, so I don’t get to make connections with a lot of fellow female engineers,” she said. “Overall, my experience at WISE has encouraged me to work harder regardless of being a minority in my field, because I get to be around such successful and happy individuals.”

The next lecture in the Inspiring Women Series will be in early December before the exam period. To keep up to date on WISE information and events, visit uottawawise.wordpress.com.