8747240163_5a56cd4689_o

There’s a lot more to the winter than blizzards and frostbite

Photo by Marta Kierkus

BeaverTails and hot chocolate

Although you could technically enjoy these things all year, they’re just better in winter. In order to get the real BeaverTail experience it has to be at least –10° outside; that way, your pastry will get a little crispy from the cold and you’ll be able to wash it down (and warm yourself up) with some hot chocolate, or if you’re feeling adventurous, some hot apple cider.

Snow forts and snowmen 

When the snow is nice and sticky there’s absolutely no better way to forget about your stresses than by building a snow fort, with a snowman to guard it. The best part is having a snowball fight with friends—and no longer having to worry about teachers giving you detention. 

Snow angels

After a fresh snowfall, with the snow piled up all fluffy across the city, there’s something magical about looking up at the sky and making a snow angel.

Outdoor sports

Ottawa is the perfect city for outdoor winter sports. Gatineau Park has some great cross-country skiing and snowshoeing trails. Camp Fortune, Mont Cascade, and Edelweiss offer easy after-class skiing and snowboarding hills less than 100 kilometres away. Make sure to ask about their student discounts, or go at night for a reduced price.

Holidays 

No studying or exams for a precious three weeks, and socially acceptable conditions to pig out on food, holiday cheer, and Netflix. What could be better? 

Hockey 

Whether you’re playing or watching, hockey is just awesome, and way better in the winter than it is in 30° weather. After all, it’s ice hockey that’s Canada’s national winter sport, not ball hockey.

London fogs and other holiday drinks 

Peppermint hot chocolates, ginger bread spice lattes, eggnog everything. ‘Tis the season to indulge in all of your favourite specialty drinks, especially when you need a little caffeine boost to keep on studying.