Photo: CC, Lynn Harris.

Ottawa International Writers Festival, Christ Church Cathedral, 414 Sparks Street

Thursday, April 27–Tuesday, May 2

This festival brings together lovers of the written word from all over the world. Check it out and hear from some of the finest authors of the 21st century, from politics to poetry.

Ottawa Dog Festival, RA Centre, free admission

Saturday, June 10–Sunday, June 11

This weekend event is perfect for dog lovers (so pretty much anyone reading this). Come by and see the cutest professional puppers from the Rideau River Dock Diving diving competition to the Dog Lovers Day lure course. There’s also games, competitions, and food trucks to indulge in.

Canada Scene Festival, National Arts Centre

Thursday June 15–Sunday, July 23

Over 1,000 artists from a variety of disciplines (from cuisine to circus) will gather during the Canada Scene Festival. You’ll see interesting art installations in the main lobby (which are free to view) and have the chance to attend some of the 100 events that are planned.

Ottawa Beer Fest, Lansdowne Park

Friday, June 16–Sunday June, 18

Bored with your basic brew? Visit the sixth Ottawa Craft Beer Festival in mid-June and discover the hidden gems of the Ontario beer industry.

Glowfair, Bank Street

Friday, June 16–Saturday, June 17

For one weekend, Bank Street will be converted into a mesmerizing celebration of music, light, and art. You’ll be able to see shops, music, street performers, and a silent disco, all in a effervescent atmosphere.

Summer Solstice Indigenous Festival and Competition Pow Wow, Vincent Massey Park, Major’s Hill, and Victoria Island

Tuesday, June 20–Sunday, June 25

This showcase of Indigenous talent provides an astounding display of art from First Nations, Métis, and Inuit groups, as well as artists from all over the country on National Aboriginal Day.

Canada Day, National Capital Region

Saturday, July 1

In case you’ve somehow missed it, Canada will be celebrating 150 years since Confederation. There will be a variety of events all across the Nation’s Capital if you want to avoid the hustle and bustle of Parliament Hill, such as events on Major Hill’s Park and at the Canadian Museum of History.

Kingdom of Osgoode Medieval Festival, 5673 Osgoode Main Street, Osgoode

Friday, July 7–Sunday, July 9

This festival is a little far away for us city dwellers, but the trip back in time will be well worth it. The medieval festival boasts a variety of entertainment, from music and sword playing to a birds of prey show. You can experience the excitement of medieval life with all the conveniences of modern technology.

Ottawa Capital Pride, Bank Street Village

Monday, August 21–Sunday, August 27

After a rocky 2016, Capital Pride is back and better than ever. Help celebrate this glorious return with Ottawa’s LGBTQ+ community. This year features events like the Rainbow Flag Raising Tour, Family Picnic in the Park, Human Rights Vigil, and the Capital Pride Pageant, all culminating with the Capital Pride Parade.