Glögg and more

Whether you’re looking for the right red at the end of a long day, or the perfect white to pair with your Christmas turkey, I’ve got you covered.

Pelee Island Pinot Noir, $10.95 — There’s nothing better than a glass of red wine at the end of a long winter day. This pinot noir will warm you up and provide instant relaxation. It’s medium bodied and fruity with a slightly tart aftertaste. This balanced flavour makes it an ideal red for any drinker. Have a glass alone with a great book in hand and fireplace roaring, or bring it to your holiday party.

Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, $19.95 — If you’re looking for a bottle to take to holiday dinners as a host gift, this is the wine for you. Being a white wine, it pairs perfectly with turkey, and its citrus-based flavour complements any holiday feast. Despite being an extra-dry white, it is both refreshing and vivid.

Glögg — Glögg is a drink that was first introduced to me by my Danish friend who had the recipe passed down to her from her grandmother. It’s a Nordic winter drink that each family has their own recipe for, but here’s a basic recipe to get you started.

Ingredients:

• 1.5 litre bottle dry red wine
  • 1.5 litre bottle American port
  • 750 ml bottle brandy
  • 2-4 Cinnamon sticks
  • 15 cardamom seed pods
  • 2 dozen whole cloves
  • 1 orange peel, whole and washed
  • 1/2 cup dark raisins
  • 1 cup blanched almonds
  • 2 cups sugar
  • Garnish with the peel of another orange
  1. Mix the wine, port, brandy, cinnamon sticks, seed pods, cloves, and orange peel, in a large saucepan made either of stainless-steel or porcelain (any other pot will give you a metallic taste), stirring occasionally. Heat on medium-high until it comes to a slight boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
  2. When you’re ready to drink it, reheat the mixture, but do not boil. Mix sugar to desired taste. Add raisins and almonds to individual servings.