Election

Current vp communications elected president for 2013–2014 school year

Maclaine Chadwick | Fulcrum Staff

IN A TIGHT presidential race, Anne-Marie Roy was elected leader of the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa (SFUO) for the 2013–2014 term.

Roy, a fourth-year communications student and the current vp communications of the SFUO, earned 57 per cent of the vote to beat out opposing candidate Geoff Parent, according to preliminary results.

“I’m very happy that students decided to put their trust in our team, Student Action,” Roy said following the announcement. “We’re definitely ready to get working next year and make positive change happen on this campus.”

Roy was one of five members of the Student Action affiliation to be elected. Together Ensemble vp social candidate Pat Marquis was the only non-Student Action member to be voted onto next year’s executive.

“I think we have a great team, and I’m looking forward to working with everyone else,” said Roy.

When she replaces current president Ethan Plato in May, Roy plans on strategizing with current university administration.

“The first step is going to be meeting with Allan Rock and the upper administration to talk about our upcoming plans, and see how we move forward from there,” said Roy.

Prior to the results, Parent expressed his appreciation of the Together Ensemble campaign workers.

“All of the volunteers were fantastic,” he said. “No matter what happens, I’m very proud of the campaign we ran. Together Ensemble is the best team I’ve ever had a chance to run with.”

Roy said she’s prepared for a challenging term as president but is determined to earn student support along the way.

“I definitely think that eliminating hidden university fees is going to be my biggest challenge,” she said. “If I can rally up students behind me, and if I can mobilize students around the issue, then it’s definitely something that I can make happen.”