Reading Time: < 1 minute

Progress has been slow in the case of two former members of the University of Ottawa men’s hockey team, which had its third court proceeding on Dec. 2.

Guillaume Donovan and David Foucher, both of Gatineau, are each facing one count of sexual assault.

Similar to the Nov. 4 proceedings, neither player nor their lawyers were present at the latest hearing. The players were represented by duty counsel who said the defence is  waiting for additional evidence to be made available by the Crown.

At the Sept. 30 proceedings, a publication ban was imposed on all evidence disclosed in preliminary hearings. Donovan’s lawyer said he was waiting for Crown prosecutors to make evidence available to the defence, and requested court proceedings be postponed.

The next court date is scheduled for Jan. 13.

Donovan is represented by Ottawa lawyer Christian Deslauriers. Foucher is represented by Montreal lawyer Jean-Pierre Rancourt.

The hockey team was in town for two games against the Lakehead University Thunderwolves from Jan. 31 to Feb. 2. Reports came out in March that up to three members of the team sexually assaulted a 21-year-old Lakehead student at a Thunder Bay hotel.

The team was suspended immediately which the university extended into the current season.

In August, Thunder Bay police charged Donovan and Foucher after a six-month investigation.

Several of the other members of the hockey team who are being represented by Ottawa lawyer, Lawrence Greenspon, are considering a defamation lawsuit over the program’s suspension.