Carolyn Greve begins term

Jane Lytvynenko | Fulcrum Contributor

illustration by Devin Beauregard

As of July, the Graduate Students’ Association of the University of Ottawa (GSAÉD) has elected a new finance commissioner, Carolyn Greve, following the resignation of Douglas Webb in June 2012.

“It’s quite common to have an executive leave throughout their term,” said Taiva Tegler, GSAÉD external commissioner. “Our previous finance commissioner, Douglas Webb, resigned at a June council meeting, which became effective as of the July council meeting.”

“We all have similar ideas, and goals, and visions for this organization, so I’m looking forward to working with all of them.”

Seven candidates applied to be the new finance commissioner, with Greve coming out the winner.

“Carolyn is excellent,” said Tegler. “She joined our team with knowledge of student unions [and] with excellent knowledge of finances. She is fluently bilingual—which is crucial to be accountable to our members. She began work and was engaged with the rest of the executive. I couldn’t have imaged her transferring in more fluently than she has.”

Although it was only recently that Greve moved to Ottawa from Regina, she said the transition has been smooth.

“When the [finance commissioner] position came up I thought it was a great opportunity to take my activism side and my finance background and hopefully do some awesome things for grad students at [the U of O],” said Greve.

“I have a month to get situated, see how everything is, and develop friendships and professional relationships so that we have that foundation going into the rest of the year,” Greve added. “We all have similar ideas, and goals, and visions for this organization, so I’m looking forward to working with all of them.”

Greve’s first goal is to ensure financial transparency at GSAÉD and to explain to students in layman’s terms where their money is going.

“It’s our responsibility to have as transparent a financial process as possible so, that if anyone has any questions … they can get answers as quickly as possible,” said Greve.

Tegler thought the commissioners had a productive summer and looks forward to several major projects GSAÉD has planned for the year.

“This summer has gone much more smoothly than last summer; the team is very cohesive; we rely on mutual support and respect,” said Tegler.

“What we’re focusing on right now is how awesome it is to have Carolyn with us. She’s present in the office on a regular basis; she’s absolutely diligent in her work,” Tegler continued. “The day-to-day functioning of the organization depends on the finance commissioner and their ability to respond to students … and be accountable. She has been fulfilling those tasks above and beyond.”

Douglas Webb was unavailable for comment.