The University of Ottawa has announced that Michaëlle Jean is stepping down as chancellor due to her “extensive new responsibilities” as secretary-general of La Francophonie.

The Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie, also known as La Francophonie, is an organization representing 57 member states, three associate member, and 20 observers where French is a commonly spoken language. Jean was elected to the post last November, and is the first woman to hold the title.

“On behalf of the university, I would like to offer my sincerest and warmest thanks to Mme Jean for the outstanding leadership she has shown as chancellor. We have benefitted greatly from her credibility, her personality and her diplomatic missions,” said U of O president Allan Rock in a press release.

Rock will also be leaving office when his term as president wraps up in 2016, but has said he is interested in remaining at the U of O as a professor in the Faculty of Law.

Jean has been chancellor of the U of O since February 1, 2012. She previously served as the Governor-General of Canada from 2005 to 2010.

Jean will remain in office until a new chancellor is named, but will not participate in the university’s spring convocation.