Next Stop

LET’S FACE IT: Not many people follow through on their New Year’s resolutions. Whether it’s to lose weight or get better grades, chances are you’ll forget everything you hope to do by February. Nonetheless, below are a few resolutions I’d like certain Canadians to actually stick to.

Support for students 

Last year, Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty unveiled new funding for students in the province, which same students were quick to criticize. I hope in 2012 McGuinty will see the need to help part-time and working students and extend his grant to all youth pursuing post-secondary education.

Internet freedom

Although the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) said on many occasions that the Internet falls out of its jurisdiction, signs are pointing in the direction of Internet regulation. The CRTC is to hear proposals about implementing online surveillance and digital locks, which, if passed, could seriously limit Internet freedom and anonymity. The CRTC should resolve to leave the Internet to its users and regulate traditional forms of communication.

Lowering carbon emissions 

In 2011, the Conservative government announced Canada wouldn’t participating in the Kyoto Protocol any longer. Environment Minister Peter Kent said Canada will implement its own environmental measures, though didn’t specify what they would be. If we are looking to reduce our carbon footprint, I hope the government will make this a priority and apply the new rules fairly to all businesses, including the oil industry.

Party improvements 

In a recent Nanos poll asking Canadians what they would like the major political parties to improve, citizens gave fantastic recommendations. Advice for the Conservatives was to “communicate with people,” the NDP and Liberals were told to “get a new leader,” while the Greens were asked to “broaden policy views.” I think that’s solid advice and should be at the top of our party leaders’ resolutions lists.

Follow through 

Once the new year hangover settles, the night’s mess is cleaned up, and the crazy adventures are remembered through embarrassing photos on Facebook, try to remember the promises you made after 12 shots of whatever-it-was. Whether your resolution is something small, like eating less bacon, or something huge, like improving the country, stick to it. If you actually achieve your goals, you can face the end of the world in 2012 with pride.

Jane Lytvynenko

[email protected]

(613) 562-5260