Letters

DEMOCRACY IS A concept somewhat difficult to identify in contemporary society. Although we clearly live in a democratic society, we do not live in a democracy as defined by the elites of ancient Greece.

It is generally believed that the average Canadian’s views are not considered in our democratic system and very seldom reach the ears of those who make the decisions. If we can look beyond the fact that the Liberal convention this past weekend was a partisan function, one can see that it was a process in which Canadians, such as myself, came together to discuss, develop, and vote on issues we considered important to Canada.

This forum for debate was open and equal, a delegate was a delegate, and all views were respected and heard in a very open fashion. Sessions were held in which party members explained to members of Parliament, Senators, and party officials their concerns and ideas, and it is safe to say that all politicians were receptive and engaging.

Individuals asked well-thought-out and intelligent questions, and the responses were real responses that answered the individual’s desire for knowledge, which is a unique sight in comparison to the parliamentary question period.

Those present were important merely due to their sheer presence and their views were and will be in the future taken into account. I also applaud the fact that individuals—although they took the odd swipe at the sitting government—chose for the most part to look for new ideas, new concepts, and new visions of what politics is in Canada, rather than just focusing on the past and blaming others for the problems we see in this great country.

As a youth, I felt my ideas were looked at as being just as important as those of the individual who voted for Lester B. Pearson in 1963. All segments of the population were supposed to contribute in a meaningful manner and I believe they all did.

A room of close to 2,000 people argued what the party was and wasn’t, and voted accordingly. The decisions taken in that room were of significant importance, and although I did not agree with all, I have never experienced a more open or a more democratic process that was so close to its purist form—Canada Hall in the Ottawa Convention Centre was truly an agora.

I must admit that I have never attended any other party’s convention, but I hope their processes are as open, as vibrant, and as meaningful as the discussions that were conducted at the Liberal convention. If so, I truly believe that we as Canadians live in a society where, through the usage of political parties (among other means), we can produce real change as individuals.

I hope all Canadians look at the Liberal convention not only as a partisan event full of hopeful Liberals simply seeking to revisit past glory, but rather as an expression of what we as Canadians believe the democratic process should look like and an example of the values we consider essential for its existence.

Simon Gollish

Second-year history and 

political science student