U of O’s new dining hall offers a much better selection

Photo: Eric Davidson

A new school year is upon us, and along with it a new cafeteria. For those who haven’t had the chance to explore the “all-you-can-eat” affair compared to the old dining hall—picture a flip phone to smartphone scale upgrade.

Our shiny, new, iPhone of a cafeteria allows for the true customization of meals. With the wide array of options from DIY sandwich, pasta, and smoothie stations to a salad bar, dessert table and a waffle iron: we now have more choice than ever for a bargain price. Did I mention the chocolate milk on tap?

The cafeteria also caters to gluten intolerances, vegans, and vegetarians. With the choices comes the ability to eat healthier. Fresh vegetables and fruits are more accessible than ever.

There isn’t an additional cost anymore to grabbing a salad or adding a side of grilled veggies.

Not to mention that our new cafeteria is open 24/7, meaning you no longer need to leave campus to grab a bite during those late nights at the library.

With the new layout, furniture and beautiful new floors, it will be a fantastic study space during the quieter hours.  Food Services says students are welcome to stay as long as they want, so studying in the cafeteria will have its perks in the form of continuous access to caffeine and food.

There was nothing wrong with the old cafeteria and it was still functional and reliable. But the old one was boring; it didn’t have a 4.7-inch, LED-backlit widescreen multi‑touch display with IPS technology.

This fancy new technology makes the area more enjoyable for students as well as appealing to future students and visitors to the campus.  Instead last year’s cafeteria had dry chicken and hard potatoes, which was also the meal with the highest food-for-money ratio. There are some flaws however, with the “all-you-can-eat” system making it easier for students to overeat, and the pay-at-the-gate policy making it impractical for students who want to grab a quick bite or study with friends.

But if students are going to overeat, the healthier options available at the dining hall will hopefully mitigate the negative consequences, compared with an endless supply of ramen.

There are also a variety of other places on campus to grab food if you are looking for something less than a full meal such as the cafeteria at SITE.

The new cafeteria has some minor flaws, but overall it’s a much-needed improvement from last year, and will definitely become an asset to campus life at the U of O.