Sofia Hashi | Fulcrum Staff

“WHY NOW?” THAT’S the question my friend earnestly asked me after I told her I was learning how to play to guitar. Caught off guard, I didn’t know how to answer, so I mumbled, “Oh, you know, I’ve just always wanted to try.” I didn’t realize that my latest endeavour would be such a big deal amongst my friends and acquaintances, but I should’ve known. Nearly everyone I’ve mentioned it to has asked, “Why now?”

While this question may make sense to some, for me it’s like asking why the sky is blue, or why I chose to wear a purple shirt as opposed to a yellow shirt. It doesn’t make sense. Why can’t we continue learning? Why can’t we, as adults, find new things to try and new skills to develop?

Recently, while I was on Thought Catalog, an online magazine composed of submissions primarily from twenty-somethings, I came across a post that echoed my sentiments: “Why do we stop growing and experiencing new things as we get older?” While the author had no real answer to provide, the article ,combined with the recent inquisitions about my guitar-playing, got me wondering.

It might be because we associate school with learning, and let’s face it, four to five years on a campus, no matter how awesome that campus is, will put you off cracking open a textbook for a very long time. Learning becomes associated with snoozeworthy lectures and dry, boring books that our professors seem to have an uncanny ability for choosing time and time again. But do we forget about learning once we become older? Do we think we’ve learned all that we can by the time we’ve hit our mid-twenties? I don’t know about you, but I sure don’t want to stop educating myself just because I have a degree or two under my belt.

The idea that seems to be perpetuated constantly is that we can only learn through accredited institutions. This is only a half-truth. Sure, you won’t be formally recognized for learning to change a tire or knit a scarf , but learning doesn’t have to be about some end-game result. You learn for the fun of it. We do have public libraries for a reason, you know.

Cultivating new skills can be exciting too. I’ve always wanted to play an instrument and now I’m doing it. Who cares if I’ll never be able to jam like Jimi Hendrix or throw down tracks like Eddie Van Halen? That’s not why I decided to pick up a guitar and rock out.

When most people ask me why I’m learning guitar now, what they really mean is, “What are you going to do with it?” Am I going to go to Nashville anytime soon? Will I try to form a band? Probably not. But when I do, you know they’re going to want to be in it.