Humour

George Lucas already plans too release ‘slim’ version of Star Wars

Certain filmmakers are planning to vertically re-format classic films like Lawrence of Arabia, edits: Marta Kierkus.

Now that 3D has mostly exhausted its mainstream appeal in theatres, high profile movie directors are looking to adopt vertical video as the next big filmmaking gimmick.

This emerging trend came to light on Tuesday when director Peter Jackson announced he will be using the vertical format to shoot the upcoming motion picture trilogy adaptation of the children’s classic If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.

In an interview with Variety, Jackson said he was attracted to this shooting style after spending an “embarrassing amount of time” watching fight videos and amateur booty-shaking montages on sites like YouTube and WorldStarHipHop.

“I was struck by the incomplete quality of these videos,” said Jackson. “Those big black bars on either side of the screen leave so much to the imagination. Movies today are missing that kind of stark ambiguity.”

Jackson’s adoption of this new vertical format has already sent shockwaves through the industry. Film traditionalists have expressed doubt concerning this new shooting style, since motion pictures have always been framed horizontally to complement the natural placement of people’s eyes.

However, pro-vertical director James Cameron believes that by embracing the new format, Hollywood will be able to tap into a key demographic it has long ignored.

“Since as far back as I can remember, the globe’s Cyclops population has been completely neglected by the world of cinema,” said Cameron on the set of the now vertically shot sequel to Avatar. “Hopefully, the film industry can get over its phobia of the horizontally challenged and allow vertical video to become the norm.”

To capitalize on the promise of a new emerging demographic of movie-goers, director George Lucas has announced his intention to re-re-re-master and re-re-release the original Star Wars trilogy in theatres and on home video.

“These new ‘slim’ editions will give me the freedom to change even more stuff about Star Wars,” Lucas said in an interview with the Tomato. “Not only will Greedo shoot first in this new version, but you won’t even get to see where the shot came from.”

Several industry bigwigs are eagerly waiting to see if the shooting style will pay off financially. Ellis Jacob, president and CEO of Cineplex Entertainment, has already indicated that he is willing to drastically redesign his movie theatres to accommodate for vertical video.

“Tall and skinny screens will be the name of the game in five years. I guarantee it,” said Jacob. “Admittedly, that might make sitting in the front row even more of a pain in the neck for theatre-goers. But I’m not worried—their bones will change over time.”