Breaking news: Monogamy and marriage go hand-in-hand

Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler is about to embark on his third marriage. The 63-year-old rock star proposed to his longtime lover Erin Brady over the holidays and, despite his family’s public protest to the union, he feels he’s found the secret to successful marriage: Monogamy. According to reports, all it took was a lighthearted threat from his bride-to-be to enlighten Tyler on the importance of staying faithful. “I just said… If you play, I’m gonna play,” said Brady. Has Tyler really been unaware of the importance of fidelity all these years, or is the controversial couple just trying to set their impending vows apart from the singer’s two previous marriages?

Alberta not ecstatic about ecstasy deaths 

Alberta Health Services issued a public warning about the dangers of ecstasy following several deaths linked to the street drug in recent weeks on Dec. 30. Three young Calgary men are dead after overdosing on the drug, as well as one young woman from Abbotsford, B.C. Alarmed by the deaths and the recent spike in the availability of ecstasy, Calgary police chief Rick Hanson is urging parents in the area to inform their children about the perils of street drugs. “This is a time for parents to sit down and really talk to their kids about ecstasy,” Hanson said. Is it too late to save Alberta youth from diving into ecstacy, or will Hanson’s plea to parents discourage drug use in the Prairie province?

Stem cells stop aging

A recent study at the University of Pittsburgh found stem cells can slow down aging in mice. The discovery was made when researchers at the university infected mice with progeria syndrome, which causes rapid aging, then injected them with stem cells from healthy mice. The mice given the stem cells not only largely recovered from their progeria symptoms, but thrived and lived far longer than those who were not given stem cells. “We could basically triple their size and their lifespan,” said Laura Niedernhofer, one of the professors that conducted the study. Are the results of this study just one more reason to open up stem cell research, or an appalling example of animal abuse in the name of scientific study?

Care to comment?

Tell us what your opinion is in the comments!

—Jaclyn Lytle