Photo: Marta Kierkus

Twice every school year, the Fulcrum gives out Cavalry Awards for the best Gee-Gee athletics have to offer. Here are this semester’s winners:

Coach of the Year:

WEB_SPO_Cavalry-Awards-Jen-Boyd-Ian-MacAlpine

Gee Gees women’s rugby head coach Jen Boyd won her second consecutive Réseau du sport étudiant du Québec (RSEQ) Coach of the Year, and rightfully so, as she coached the Gees to an unbeaten regular season and Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) bronze medal. The Gee-Gees achieved consecutive unbeaten regular seasons, and outscored their opponents 421-48. Boyd led the team to their first ever top-ranking in the program’s history. The Gees can consider themselves very fortunate to have one of the very best coaches in women’s sports on their sideline.             

—David Agbaire

Male Most Valuable Player:

WEB_SPO_Cavalry-Awards-Derek-Wendel2--Marta-Kierkus

Derek Wendel had his best season for the Gee-Gees, it was also the best season for any U of O quarterback since Brad Sinopoli in 2010. Although it was a disappointing year in the standings, Wendel lit up the stat sheet and record books. Wendel threw for a staggering 3,136 yards on a nation-best 216 completions with 29 total touchdowns. He shattered school, conference, and national records on his way to a second-team All-Ontario University Athletics (OUA) nomination. Wendel proved that the Gee-Gees’ offensive attack was one of the most potent in the nation. With such an accomplished season he’s successfully put himself on the radar of  CFL scouts.

—Spencer Murdock

Female Co-Most Valuable Players:

WEB_SPO_Cavalry-Awards--Irene-something-Marta-Kierkus

Irene Patrinos had what must be regarded as a career year, as she helped the women’s rugby team to a strong showing at the CIS national championships. The team made it to the semifinals of the competition and secured their best-ever finish in a season. Patrinos was instrumental in the Gees’ dominance this season with her accurate kicking and electric speed. In her six conference games she scored 40 points from three tries, eight conversions, and two penalty kicks. For her efforts this season she was named to the All-RSEQ first team and turned in a career performance at RSEQ finals where she placed in the Championship Finals All-Star team. In her final year with the Gees, she posted perhaps her best season yet.

Pilar Khoury had another outstanding season for the women’s soccer team.  Her 11 goals in the regular season firmly established her as one of the most dangerous strikers in the nation, and lead her to a second consecutive All-Canadian team appearance. The Gees unfortunately stumbled at the last hurdle, losing in the OUA semifinals and failing to qualify for the national championships. However, Khoury without a doubt closed her career in garnet and grey in fantastic fashion.

—David Agbaire

Best Moment:

WEB_SPO_Cavalry-Awards--Soccer--Marta-Kierkus

In the OUA bronze medal game, the Gee-Gees women’s soccer team knew they were not going to nationals but thoroughly defeated one of the nation’s top teams to close the season at home. It was the last game at Matt Anthony Field for Julia Fancki, Pilar Khoury, and Cynthia LeBlanc, and it was a fitting goodbye for three amazing players. Watching the team receive their bronze medals was bittersweet, but in front of family and friends was the best place that it could’ve happened.

—Spencer Murdock

Fan Favourite:

WEB_SPO_Cavalry-Awards--Tristan-Bailey-Marta-Kierkus

During an electric Gee-Gees football home-opener win over Queen’s, there was a moment where fans lost their mind. The Gees first touchdown of the year came on a 13-yard pass from Derek Wendel to receiver Tristan Bailey. Bailey caught the ball five yards outside of the endzone, and what he did next captivated the sold out crowd. Faced with two defenders in his path, Bailey front flipped and landed to safety for a touchdown, evoking a deafening roar from the fans.

—Spencer Murdock

Photos: Ian MacAlpine and Marta Kierkus