CIS

Photo: Courtesy of Sports Services.

Fifth-year file will outline the career of a graduating athlete that has spent five years as a Gee-Gee. These seniors have all had an impact on advancing varsity athletics in their time at the University of Ottawa.

Julia Francki is a fifth-year communications student who has been an integral part of the Gee-Gees women’s soccer team’s midfield since the 2011-12 season.

Originally hailing from the Ottawa suburb of Orleans, Francki has well established herself as one of the most offensively gifted players in the nation.

As one of the most dangerous scoring threats to ever don the garnet and grey, Francki was part of the veteran core of Gee-Gees teams that were perennial national championship contenders.

At 5’ 7” she poses an aerial threat but chiefly relies on her refined technical abilities, such as her passing and first touch, in order to unlock defences.

WEB_SPO_Julia5

Francki battles for the ball as a rookie in 2011. Photo: Courtesy of Sports Services.

She is also adept at long-range shooting, and her ability to accurately deliver from dead ball situations posed a constant threat for opposing teams. With an excellent senior season under her belt, Francki has cemented her place as one of collegiate women’s soccer’s elite all-around players.

In her first season with the Gees, Francki came onto the scene with four goals on only eight shots in the season.

Francki’s second and third year brought slightly more offence, and much more national recognition. Each year she scored five goals, however it was her overall play that earned her a first-team All Canadian nod along with a Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East Most Valuable Player award.

WEB_SPO_Julia6

The eventual Gee-Gee captain came into her own in her second season. Photo: Courtesy of Sports Services.

In Summer 2013, Francki was selected to trade her garnet and grey for red and white to represent Canada at the Universiade in Kazan, Russia.

In 2014-15 Francki further ramped up her production, as she scored 10 goals in only 14 games, earning OUA first-team all-star status. She would also help lead the Gees to a national bronze medal, falling only one game short of a national championship.

WEB_SPO_Julia4

Francki’s MVP season will always hold her place in U of O history. Photo: Courtesy of Sports Services.

In her senior season, the Gees went 13-0-3 in regular season play, only to fail to advance to the Canadian Interuniversity Sport national championships.

This year, Francki played a vital role in the team’s offence, contributing 11 goals in 15 regular season games. Her goal haul put her at fifth on the OUA top scorer rankings—tied with teammate striker Pilar Khoury.

She also showed her clutch gene as she contributed two game winning goals. She was often the Gees’ main attacking threat as she registered 32 shots on goal this season, which is the third highest in the division.

WEB_SPO_Julia3

Gee-Gees celebrate their CIS bronze medal win. Photo: Courtesy of Sports Services.

Francki formed a formidable partnership with fellow OUA all-star Khoury, who also had an outstanding season as she secured her second consecutive OUA most valuable player award, as the Gee-Gees attack terrorized 18-yard boxes across the province.

The duo spearheaded the team’s impressive 2.8 goals per game during the regular season, including several high-scoring games against various division opponents.

WEB_SPO_Julia2

Francki wearing the ‘C’ in the final game of her Gee-Gees career. Photo: Courtesy of Sports Services.

Her goal tally this season brings her to 35 career league goals in her 80 league games for the Gees, and her contributions to the team will certainly be missed.