THIRD TIME’S A charm as the Gee-Gees women’s rugby team continued its early winning streak. A 37–5 win over the Sherbrooke Vert et Or on Sept. 13 at Matt Anthony field made the team’s record 3-0.

Second-year health sciences student Simone Savary opened the game by scoring the Gee-Gees’ first try. Third-year science student Irene Patrinos also added another try shortly after. The Gees led 22–0 at the half.

“It’s really exciting, we’re finally getting the coaching that we wanted and it is helping a lot,” said Patrinos. “We’re coming together as a team. Once we connect and think more, we’ll be doing much better.”

At the beginning of the second half, the Gees scored another try, which forced Sherbrooke to respond with a try of their own—Sherbrooke’s first of the game—scored by Bertrine Jean. Gee-Gees defence was key in this game alongside a great series of offensive plays by fifth-year health sciences student Natasha Watcham-Roy. The Gee-Gees finished the game with a score of 37–5.

First-year general arts student Melanie Blanchard said her confidence was boosted when she saw her captain playing so well.

“Being there to support Natasha helped my game play. She’s always telling us to keep our focus,” said Blanchard. “The sprint she had down the field gave us motivation and got us more pumped to keep going. She’s a great captain.”