Women’s soccer finishes regular season with near-perfect 15-1 record

Photo: Marta Kierkus

With the last four games of the season played in only nine days, the Gee-Gees women’s soccer team has shown they can hold onto a winning streak.

With 15 consecutive wins, the women’s soccer team finished the regular season at 15-1, securing the number one spot in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East division standings and second place overall in the country.

“We’ve secured the first place and that was the goal,” said head coach Steve Johnson.

The team allowed goals in only six games, giving goalie Cynthia LeBlanc an impressive 10 shutouts throughout the season.

On Oct. 11, the Gees played cross-town rivals the Carleton Ravens, winning with an impeccable score of 5-0.

The first two goals came four minutes in, each off corner kicks scored by forwards Pilar Khoury and Sophie Curtis. Khoury added to the scoreboard with another point for the Gee-Gees, ending the first period with 3-0. Sheniz Eryuzlu added the final two goals.

Four days later, the Gee-Gees took a trip to Kingston to defeat the Queen’s Gaels 3-0. Khoury scored two unassisted goals, while midfield Julia Franki scored one.

Back on home turf on Oct. 18, they played the now number two OUA East University of Ontario Institute of Technology Ridgebacks, winning 4-0.

This was an important game, since the Ridgebacks are the reason for the Gees’ close-but-not-quite-perfect record, having been beaten by them in Gees season opener.

The next day, the Gees closed out the regular season with a 2-1 win against the Trent Excaliburs.

Despite the cold wind and rain during the last four games, the team tacked on more strong showings for a total of 67 goals in 16 games, an average of four goals a game.

Khoury led the scoring with 14 goals. She was the first player to reach 10 goals in the OUA East during the Ravens game on Oct. 11. Following Khoury was Franki with 10.

We’ve seen disciplined players and strong support from the team this season.

“We’ve had good support all over the field,” said coach Johnson. “Perhaps this is the best that we’ve had from our bench coming in supporting the starting players.”

The team’s electrifying entrance into the playoffs is far removed from last year’s results, and the players are revved up to be there.

“We are very pumped,” said Khoury. “Last year we missed out on OUAs and nationals, so this year we’re really focused on playoffs.”