U of O men’s hockey team takes home two wins

THE UNIVERSITY OF Ottawa men’s hockey team (8-4-2) increased their standing to fifth in the Ontario University Athletic league this weekend with back-to-back wins at home. On Nov. 18, the team defeated the Ryerson Rams 4-3, followed by a second victory on Nov. 19 against the Nipissing Lakers, 7-1.

The Gee-Gees battled their way back to a win against Ryerson University (5-5-2) on Friday night, stealing a point from the Rams in an exciting shootout victory. The Gees got off to a slow start, allowing Ryerson to get ahead 1-0 in the first period. The lead didn’t last long thanks to early goals from first-year forward Guillaume Donovan and second-year defender David Foucher.

The Gees second-year defender Dominic Jalbert scored a goal late in the third period that forced the game into overtime and eventually to a shootout, where captain and fourth-year left wing Matthieu Methot scored to clinch the game for the Gees-Gees.

“We found a way to win and get two points, despite not putting forth our best effort,” explained head coach Real Paiement in an interview with Sports Services after the game. “And when you get on a roll, these things happen.”

The squad continued their streak with their third consecutive win on Saturday night against the Nipissing Lakers (8-3-4). The Gee-Gees shed their offensive woes, sending the Lakers home with an embarrassing 7-1 loss.

Disappointed with their slow start on Friday night, the Gees wasted no time getting themselves on the board when fourth-year forward Methot capitalized on an opportunity in the slot just over a minute into the game.

“I think everyone yesterday was disappointed in our effort,” said Paiement regarding the Friday game. “I didn’t have to say much to them … [there] is enough leadership in this room [and] they picked it up.”

Despite the Gees’ strong start, the Lakers were able to come back with a goal of their own toward the end of the period, tying the game at 1-1 after the first.

The second period saw Nipissing generate some offensive chances as the Gees gave up multiple odd man rushes on a struggling power-play. But as penalty trouble continued for the Lakers, the Garnet and Grey capitalized with a late power-play goal by Jalbert. The team fed off of the momentum and Methot scored his second goal of the game, increasing the lead by two.

The third period saw the Gee-Gees refusing to let up as they broke out for four more goals. First-year forward Alex Touchette provided two short-handed goals and first-year forwards Donovon and Mathieu Leduc put the icing on the cake with two more goals to give the home squad the win.

“It’s good that we [had] one,” said Paiment, referring to his team’s strong offensive game. “In their head they [have] it that they [can’t] score, [so] it’s good they got the pressure off their back. Hopefully this is the beginning … of scoring on a more regular basis.”

The Gee-Gees will look to keep up their offensive play when they head back on the road for games against Queen’s University  Golden Gaels (6-5-1) on Nov. 25 and the University of Toronto Varsity Blues (6-4-3) on Nov. 26.

—Kyle Nightingale