Competitive Clubs

Photo: CC, kelseyannvere. Edits: Kim Wiens.

Trophy not in the cards for the competitive club after a solid season

The University of Ottawa’s women’s fastball team recently competed in the Ontario Intercollegiate Women’s Fastpitch Association championship in Innerkip, Ont. from Oct. 14 to 16.

The U of O team finished fifth in the province and qualified for the final tournament held just outside of Woodstock. Ottawa had to face the undefeated Western Mustangs in their first playoff game on Friday, dropping that contest by a 8–1 margin.

Unfortunately for the team, a tie with the eighth-ranked Waterloo, as well as a 7–0 loss to the fourth-ranked Laurier, would end the weekend for the competitive club from the U of O.

Although the team didn’t fare as well as they hoped, they can find solace in the success they had throughout the year.

Last season represented one of transition for the team. The biggest change on an operational basis was that long-time head coach Scott Searle stepped down after serving as the head coach since the team’s inception in 2001.

Searle had great success with the team, bringing them to 13 consecutive playoff appearances.

Coming in to replace Searle as head coach last year was Grace Lonergan. Lonergan is an alumna of the women’s team, having suited up for the Gee-Gees for four years during her university career.

While every young head coach experiences growing pains, Lonergan was successful in leading her team to their 14th and 15th consecutive playoff appearance.

This achievement is undoubtedly significant for younger players on the team, since it provides them with a frame of reference and goal to chase going forward.

With two full season of leading the Gee-Gees under her belt, Lonergan and the team will continue to grow and learn in their roles.

Despite not being able to bring a championship back to Ottawa, the Gees will set their focus on next season, in hopes of transitioning from just making the playoffs into becoming a title contender.