Coming into the final weeks of the regular season, the Gees football team was in a position to lock down a playoff spot and potentially get an easier matchup in the first round.

But their playoff outlook got much cloudier after taking a 39-29 loss to the Windsor Lancers on Oct. 10, their first loss in three games.

The Gee-Gees are currently sitting with a 4-3 record. And,  although they fell behind  early in the fourth quarter against Windsor, their quarterback Derek Wendel led his team into the end zone twice to bring the game  closer in score.

If anything, the game was a testament to the team’s “never give up” attitude. Setting aside the small mistakes early in the match, they could have easily come away with a win. Having a short practice week and making the longest trip of any matchup in the conference also didn’t do them any favours.

In the last week of the season, the Gees have their toughest matchup yet: the undefeated McMaster Marauders, ranked third in the country. Luckily, McMaster just came from a tough fight with Laurier where they were only able to put up 27 points for a win.

The Gee-Gees have a week off, giving them extra time to prepare to face the Marauders at Gee-Gees Field on Saturday, Oct. 25.

After a wild weekend in the OUA, the playoff picture is fuzzier than ever.

Guelph stunned Western to knock them out of second seed; this should mean Western will get the third playoff seed. Carleton edged out a win against Windsor, putting them in a three-way tie for fifth place with the Gee-Gees and Laurier.

This weekend, Laurier will play a stronger Guelph team and it’s unlikely they’ll come away with a win. Carleton will play a beaten down but still fighting Queen’s team at home; if they win, they’ll get the fifth seed in the playoffs over the Gees. In the case the Gee-Gees win against McMaster, the playoffs would be a guarantee, but with a loss, it will be the end of a season for the garnet and grey.

It’s all very confusing at the moment. But after Saturday, things will be much clearer.