Photo: Remi Yuan.

Gees extend point streak to six games

The University of Ottawa men’s hockey team got three out of a possible four points this weekend, splitting a pair of double-overtime games. They defeated the Brock University Badgers on Nov. 18 and lost to the York Lions on Nov. 19, both games needing extra time to decide the winner.

The Gee-Gees took to the ice Nov. 18 against the Brock Badgers for their first game of their weekend run.

It was a high-energy event in which the Gees outshot their opponent 49–38, and both goalies were forced to stand tall in the back-and-forth affair.

The Gees came out with some great jump in their stride, as forward Marc Beckstead opened the scoring two minutes into the game.

The Badgers evened the game up at 1–1 with a controversial goal at the 13-minute mark of the period. Ottawa goaltender Graham Hunt argued that he was interfered with, but the call stood. The period ended at a 1–1 draw, with Ottawa owning a 13–11 advantage in shots.

The second period started with some steady back and forth play. A deflected point shot beat Hunt to give the Badgers a 2–1 lead early on in the second.

But it wouldn’t be long before the Gees would answer, with Mathieu Newcomb converting on a great pass from Cody Drover to tie the game up. The former junior A teammates displayed excellent chemistry on the play.

Not long after, right wing Connor Sills sniped a nice goal low blocker with two minutes left. The goal brought the game to 3–2 to finish the second period.

The third period started with great intensity from the Badgers, while the Gees looked like they were caught off guard and were left scrambling in their zone. Brock soon scored a goal right over the left shoulder of Hunt less than four minutes into the final frame.

Overtime saw even more back and forth action between the two teams, with neither being able to find the back of the net, forcing the game into a second overtime period.

Kevin Domingue stepped up and finished the game with a nice 2-on-1 opportunity, stretching their winning streak to four and bringing their regular season record to 5-6-1.

Head coach Patrick Grandmaitre was happy with his team’s effort, but he stressed that there’s always room for improvement.

“It’s a good sign when we’re a first year team and we’re playing okay and we’re still winning’’ said Grandmaitre “We definitely weren’t displeased with the game, but we weren’t completely happy.”

In their second game of the home stand on Nov. 19, the Gee-Gees suffered a heartbreaking double-overtime loss to York University, with the final score evening out to 3–2.

The Gees now have 10 of a possible 12 points in their last six games, and Grandmaitre credits the team’s improved defensive play for their recent success.

“Individually, our goalies have been playing well, game in and game out. It was an adjustment at the start of the year (for our defence), but the guys are responding well.”

The next home game for the Gee-Gees men’s hockey team will take place on Dec. 2 against the University of Toronto at 7:30 p.m. at the Minto Sports Complex. Tickets can be purchased here.