Competitive Clubs

The men’s rugby team had a fantastic year in the Scholar’s Rugby league. Photo: Remi Yuan.

Competitive club continues their total domination in final game of the season

Following an undefeated regular season in the Scholar’s Rugby league, the Gee-Gees men’s rugby team headed into their final test, an exhibition game against the York University Lions.

Coming into the game, the Gees had an astounding 8–0 record, scoring 373 points and only allowing 35 points against throughout the entire season.

The Gees looked to continue their regular season success to wrap up their 2016 run, and they did just that.

The game started slowly, with neither team managing to score nine minutes into the game.

A big hit by the Gees seemed to spark the team with 23 minutes to go in the frame, and they soon scored the first try of the game after a short run inside the five-yard line.

The conversion was successful, and the score stood at 7–0 for the University of Ottawa.

It didn’t take them long to extend their lead to 12–0 with a try mere minutes after the first.

York pressed hard to score with 16 minutes to go in the half, but the Gee-Gees stood their ground and didn’t let the Lions get on the board.

Defensive play was at the forefront for the whole first half for the Gees, as they worked to keep their opponents off the board. The half ended 19–0 for the Gees.

The Gees were working on a promising attack with 25 minutes to go in the game. York did well to halt Ottawa’s attack, but the Gees eventually did succeed in scoring their fourth try of the game, bringing the score to 24–0.

Some great passing was on display for the Gees who looked to extend their lead again. Another try was earned for the U of O as the game turned into a full-fledged blowout.

An amazing passing play and run resulted in a 36–0 score, but the board wouldn’t stay stagnant for long as an incredible solo effort run from 50 yards out made the score 43–0 for the Gees. The Gees showed no signs of slowing down, and the game was called with ten minutes left with a final score of 48–0—a great ending to a superb season for the Gees.

Head coach Stephanie Crawley praised the team’s new attacking system that they put in place this year, saying that it contributed immensely to their success.

“We excelled on our attack. We were very good at possessing the ball and keeping possession of the ball. We won most of our set pieces,” said Crawley. “Our backs were really good at attacking.”

Crawley also outlined her expectations for the competitive club’s next season.

“Next year we will go into the Scholar’s league again, the league that we created this year, and we’ll win again.”

The club has only seven graduating players, so they should still be a force to be reckoned with next year.

Needless to say, the future for this club is very promising following their outstanding season in the inaugural year of the Scholar’s league.