Fitness & Health

Photo credit: Marta Kierkus

The top four places to run this spring and summer

It’s summer, and that means it is time to emerge from your winter hibernation and start running again. For some, running is a relaxing pastime, and for others it is more of a cardio catastrophe. Luckily, Ottawa has a plethora of  picturesque pathways to run along. So lace up your runners and check out four of the prettiest running paths in Ottawa.

The Ottawa River pathway

With views of Parliament Hill, the iconic Fairmont Chateau Laurier, and the end of the Rideau Canal, this route promises to capture the beauty hidden all around. Get psyched up as you take one of the wooden flights of stairs behind Parliament down to the paved riverside running routes. Distance runners can pass the Canadian War Museum before making the trek back across the bridge from Quebec.

The Rideau Canal

As University of Ottawa students, it’s likely that we all skated on the world’s longest skating rink this winter. Now that it’s thawed, trade the skates for some sneakers and give the trails along either side of the canal a try. The three-kilometre run spans from the U of O campus along the Canal to the Pretoria Bridge crossing, and then back to campus along the Canal. Be sure to wave at the boaters cruising by the Canal.

Strathcona Park 

Strathcona Park borders the Rideau River, and offers runners a shaded trail under a canopy of trees that is superb at shielding sunlight on hot days. Go along the river until you wind up near Lees Campus, and then run back all the way through the park. For the extra push, spot the fountain at the top of the massive staircase, and then take the stairs.

Major’s Hill Park

Did you check out the Canada Day celebrations last year? If you did, chances are you jammed to Carly Rae Jepsen in Major’s Hill Park. Unfortunately, Jepsen won’t be there, but not to worry as the running trails will be. Be sure to get a taste of Ottawa and check out Colonel By’s house that is centrally located in the park. Trails weave throughout green space that covers approximately five hectares of land near Mackenzie Avenue. This park just screams, “Run me, maybe?”