Women’s rugby back on top

Marc Jan | Fulcrum Staff

The women’s rugby team whipped themselves right back into shape after their recent loss to Concordia University. On Oct. 4, the Gee-Gees faced the Bishops Gaiters. The tone of the game was set early on with easy points by the Gee-Gees and did not change at all throughout the entire game. The final score was 92–0, the Gees’ highest point output in a single game thus far.

The victory leaves the team with a 5–1 record for the season, as well as a perfect 4–0 record for games on the road. Gees’ head coach Jennifer Boyd said playing on the road kept the team focused, which definitely works to their advantage.

The team’s next and final game will be Oct. 11 against McGill University on Matt Anthony Field, with both teams vying for second place in the Réseau du sport étudiant du Québec.

Cross country meets in New York

Mackenzie Gray | Fulcrum Staff

The University of Ottawa women’s cross country team got the better of their male counterparts at last weekend’s Geneseo Cross Country Invitational at Letchworth State Park in Castile, N.Y.

The 35th annual event, hosted by SUNY Geneseo, saw the women’s team score a sixth place finish in the women’s 6-km event. Led by an impressive 15th place finish by third-year translation student Isabelle Kanz. Second-year communications student Ruth Burrows placed 34th. Eighteen teams and more than 265 runners competed in the women’s division.

In the men’s division, first-year social sciences student Alex Berhe had the best showing. He finished in ninth place nearly 40 seconds behind the leader. The men’s team rounded out with Karl Saidla in 14th place, Justin Jakeman in 48th, Patrick Smith in 52nd, and Adrian Tsang in 76th.

Up next for the cross country team is the Hamilton College Invitational in Clinton, N.Y. on Oct. 12.

Business as usual for women’s soccer

Moussa Sangaré-Ponce | Fulcrum Staff

It was another victory for the women’s soccer team during its games on Oct. 5 at Queen’s University and Oct. 6 at Trent University. They won both games.

The ladies kept their undefeated season alive. The 1–0 victory against the Queen’s Gaels was paramount to continuing down their flawless road for the season, considering the last time the two teams met, the game ended in a scoreless tie.

Third-year health science student and forward Pilar Khoury scored in both games, allowing her to maintain her status as top scorer in the Ontario University Athletics rankings.  She now stands at 12 goals.

The Gees defeated Trent 6–0. The goals were evenly spread throughout the team, with four players scoring a single goal each while second-year biomedical sciences student and midfielder Sheniz Eryuzlu scored a point in each half.

The Gee-Gees play again Oct. 9 at home against Royal Military College. As the temperature drops, the ladies are sure to turn up the heat as they gear up for what is expected to be a deep playoff run.