Fitness & Health

Here’s where to stay in shape in the capital

Photo: Marta Kierkus

Now that the intramural season has come to a close and your university gym pass’s expiration date is nearing, you may be looking for new options to stay in shape this summer.

Whether it’s your first summer in Ottawa and you’re looking for some relatively close and inexpensive activities, or you’re an Ottawa native who’s looking to try a new class or join a sports league, there’s a plethora of choices. To get you started, here are a few options within a 15-kilometre radius.

If you are looking to join a sports league, Ottawa Rec Sports offers both indoor and outdoor co-ed soccer, flag football, ultimate, and grass volleyball leagues for $100 and runs all summer. It also offers pick-up soccer games on Saturdays.

The Ottawa Sports and Social Club (OSSC) offers floor hockey, basketball, dodgeball, and table tennis leagues all around Ottawa for $125. For soccer enthusiasts who are looking to stay close to campus, the OSSC also recently opened a recreational soccer league at Matt Anthony Field.

The City of Ottawa offers recreational and competitive co-ed, women’s, and men’s beach volleyball leagues, as well as recreational women’s basketball, ball hockey, soccer, and softball, all under $100. The city also offers both drop-in programs and instructional sports classes for men and women for $40–80. This includes a general multi-sport instructional class for those looking to learn the basics.

If you’re interested in trying something new, there are golf, rowing, ultimate, and climbing leagues and drop-in facilities relatively close to campus as well. GlowSport offers your favourite sports in a glow-in-the-dark format.

If you’re not interested in team sports, but looking to stay in shape, the OSSC offers a multitude of fitness and dance classes such as yoga, salsa dance, warrior workout, and tennis fitness classes.

For a simple gym membership, the university offers a special student price of $140 for a full summer pass. The university gym hours are reduced in the summer, but a membership gives you access to the pool and certain drop-in sports as well. The U of O also offers a small number of fitness classes for $50.

Other gyms such as the YMCA and GoodLife Fitness are other nearby options. GoodLife gives a personalized program for $30–90 a month. The YMCA offers a $40 monthly pass for students, which includes the gym, drop-in sports, and fitness classes.

Lastly, be sure to embrace the outdoors. Bike and hiking paths, public parks, and beaches are free to the public and a great way to simultaneously explore the city, stay fit, and get a nice tan.