Photo: Brian Doherty.

With tough loss, all Gee-Gees teams have ended their post-seasons

After a close game, the University of Ottawa Women’s Basketball team lost 46-47 against the McMaster Marauders on Feb. 28, ending their Ontario University Athletics (OUA) playoff run at the semi finals.

It was a rough start for the Gee-Gees, with the team repeatedly turning the ball over in the opening minutes, and McMaster jumping out to a 7-0 lead early on.

It took some time, but the Gees started to settle things down. With just over two and a half minutes remaining in the first frame, Maia Timmons sunk a jump shot and got the Gees on the board, now trailing 7-2. The points started to trickle in for the Garnet and Grey, but they finished the first quarter down 9-5 to McMaster. There was plenty of back and forth, and both teams combined for 13 turnovers in the quarter.

The U of O started the second quarter off strong, scoring seven unanswered points in the first two minutes to jump out to a 12-9 lead. McMaster would take a time out, but the strong play continued for the Gees, as they maintained their lead at 14-11 halfway through the second quarter.

Points by Brigitte Levebvre-Okankwu and Jennifer Crowe kept the momentum going, and the team would finish strong, ending up with a 21-15 lead at the halfway point.

There was a lot on the line as the teams stepped on the court for the third quarter, and both ratched up the offence. McMaster would start things off, putting up points early to chip away at the Gee-Gees’ lead. They would draw within three, down 23-20 just two minutes in.

Levebvre-Okankwu again responded for the Garnet and Grey, as the team fought to hold on to their lead, but the Marauders didn’t let up. A jump shot with 18 seconds to go in the frame would draw McMaster within two points of the U of O, who would emerge with a 35-33 lead, setting up a do-or-die scenario in the final quarter.

Despite much back and forth, neither team was able to strike quickly and get on the board. Finally, Gee-Gee Brooklynn Macalear-Fanus got the scoring started over two minutes into the quarter. A jump shot by Levebvre-Okankwu would push the Gees’ lead to 38-33.

But the Marauders kept up the pressure, adding points to push the score to 42-40 in favour of the Gee-Gees with under four minutes left in the game.

With less than two minutes left, a McMaster three-pointer found the net, giving the Marauders the lead for the first time since the opening frame. After a Gee-Gees timeout, Macalear-Fanus scored to put the Garnet and Grey ahead 44-43.

McMaster continued to push the pace, and the Garnet and Grey held a 46-45 lead with 40 seconds left in the game.

But the U of O couldn’t hold on. After a foul called against the Gee-Gees with just eight seconds left on the clock, McMaster sunk two free throws to emerge with a 47-46 victory, eliminating the Gee-Gees from the OUA playoffs.