OUA

Alexandra Lyn wins gold for the Gee-Gees

Photo courtesy of OUA.ca

The women’s fencing team presented a strong performance at the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) championships held Jan. 30 at York University.

With three fencing events—foil, épée, and sabre—fencers competed in a two-day competition with individual events, followed by the team event.

The Gee-Gees finished the weekend with third-year JD and MBA student Alexandra Lyn winning gold in the foil event and second-year education student Olivia Warnock finishing top 10 in the épée event.

A former Canada Games champion and 2014 OUA all-star, Lyn beat her silver medal performance from last year’s OUAs. Although not competing in the team event, the veteran fencer is seen as one of the leaders on the relatively young Gee-Gee team.

“Our goal as a team going forward is definitely to win the provincial championships next year,” said Lyn. “I certainly think we’re capable of this. With relative newcomers this year, we’re definitely looking to build on our performance and keep getting better.”

Warnock was also able to put up a strong performance in the individual competition while captaining the team in the épée event.

“I’m really proud of my teammates for competing hard,” said Warnock. “We’re definitely looking to get better and compete with the schools that sport strong teams, including Queen’s, Carleton, and Royal Military College.”

The Gee-Gees finished ninth overall at the championships with a total of 63 points. The Queen’s Gaels pulled away for the second consecutive year as the team champions with a total of 276 points. The team winner was determined by a point system tracking individual and team finishes.

Up next, the men’s fencing team will compete at the OUAs on Feb. 20 at Brock University consisting of the same two-day format as the women’s team.