Team bounces back from high goal allowance with two road wins

Photo credit: Richard Whittaker 

The Gee-Gees women’s hockey team had to step up their defensive game if they wanted to win their two road games against Concordia University and the University of Montreal on Nov. 15–16.

The teams let in 14 goals during their previous two games, including a 7-2 defeat against Montreal.

Goaltender Maude Lévesque Ryan had her best game yet against the Concordia Stingers with 24 saves for her first Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) shutout. Head coach Yanick Evola said he was proud of her and the rest of the team’s energy after the 2-0 win.

“Our intensity level was really good, probably the best it has been all season,” said Evola. “We battled all game, especially with that last-minute penalty kill.”

Ottawa’s only other win of the season was a tight game against the Stingers on Oct. 24. Sunday’s game against Montreal was a greater battle.

Both teams attacked hard and got into penalty trouble. The second period was especially aggressive, with a total of 20 penalty minutes doled out between the two teams.

Ottawa capitalized on the Carabins defensive breakdowns to edge out a 4-3 win over Montreal. This is the first win over Montreal in over three years. Coach Evola said his team was thrilled with the win, but not surprised.

“We have a solid group of players who are learning what it takes to have success in this league,” he said after the match. “Everyone had an impact on today’s win.”

The Gee-Gees defensive squad needs to keep playing consistently if they want to succeed this season. They have to be aggressive, but learn to stay out of the penalty box. For the games to come, Ottawa will have to keep clear of unforced turnovers in order to have more opportunities to score.

The next home game will be on Nov. 22 at 7 p.m. at the Minto Sports Complex.

Read more: Meet a Gee-Gee: Janie Paquette