Photo: Jaclyn McRae-Sadik.

Third-ranked Gee-Gees improve to 5-0 on the young season

The nationally third-ranked Gee-Gees women’s soccer team has been nothing short of sensational so far this season.

With two more wins on Sept. 10 and 11 over Ryerson and the University of Toronto, respectively, the team has no intention of slowing down anytime soon.

On Saturday, the Gee-Gees defeated the Ryerson Rams by a score of 2-0. The game was almost a carbon copy of the team’s win over Carleton on Sept. 3.

Just like the previous week, the Gees’ offence couldn’t find the back of the net throughout the entire first half and a majority of the second. Almost on cue, the team’s offence erupted for two goals in rapid succession in the 79th and 82nd minutes.

Midfielder Katherine Bearne, in her second-year of eligibility after a season-ending knee injury last year, is finally starting to return to form as she netted her first goal of the season against the Rams.

Minutes later it was midfielder Faythe Lou that sealed the game for the Gees. The fourth-year is having a breakout season so far, with a total of four goals and an assist in five games.

Going forward into the following day’s game against the Toronto Varsity Blues, the plan was for the Gee-Gees offence to strike earlier than it had in recent games.

The Gees executed their plan effectively, scoring two first half goals to set the tone for the match.

In the 17th minute, fifth-year striker Victoria Marchand sprinted down the sideline past three Toronto defenders to fire the ball home for the team’s first goal of the day.

Later in the half, striker Sophie Curtis ignited the crowd at Matt Anthony Field by scoring on a sliding kick while parallel to the net. The impressive play was the third-year’s first goal of the season.

In contrast to their previous two games, the Gee-Gees didn’t have a late game burst of scoring against the Varsity Blues.

Toronto striker Natasha Klasios scored in the 66th minute, handing the Gees their second goal against all season. The goal was representative of a second half shift in pressure from the Toronto end.

The Blues matched the Gee-Gees’ total of nine shots in the final frame, something that has only been done once so far this year.

“Our finishing should’ve been better,” said Gee-Gees head coach Steve Johnson. “I was happy that we scored early, but I think we had better opportunities in the second half. There were just chances we didn’t take advantage of.”

With the weekend sweep, the Gee-Gees sit atop the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) east division as the only undefeated team. York is the only other team in the OUA that has not yet suffered a loss.

“Looking onward, we see we can be a first half, second half, and full game team,” said Marchand. “It’s really important to know that the depth on our bench is strong, we have players coming in at any point in the game and the intensity is still the same.”

The Gee-Gees will now look forward to a home match against rival Queen’s Gaels on Sept. 16 at 7 p.m at Matt Anthony Field.