Photo: Parker Townes.

Gees cannot make up any ground in the RSEQ standings

Following a loss in Montreal on Jan. 6 , the Gee-Gees looked for better fortune at home court against Laval on Jan. 13. The Gee have not been able to register a win against any of the top three teams in the Réseau du sport étudiant du Québec (RSEQ) all year, and last Saturday was no different.

In the early minutes of the first set, it looked as though it would be a close game. The Gees took a 11-8 lead off a huge block by Dana Bulloch, which looked to bring some momentum on the Gees-Gees’ side as they won the next point and forced Laval to take a timeout.

Laval started to gain some ground off a string of good serves, taking the lead 15-14. The Gees were forced to take their first timeout after they continued to trail slightly. Laval had a 20-17 lead and seemed to have the momentum, but the Gees took another timeout and won the next two points before a service error to make it 21-19 Rouge et Or. Laval took the first set 25-21 after a run of points.

The Gees got off to a slow start trailing 7-2 early, after some poor serves that caught the net. Sabrina Roy made a great diving bump to save the ball mere inches from the floor and the Gees converted right after. This gave momentum to the Gees and they tied the game at 15 a piece.

Assistant coach Ling Lee touched on the Gees’ poor serving. “Our serving let us down today, which is disappointing because that’s been one of the focuses that we’ve been trying to push on. I think if we take out our serving errors, it would have been even closer.”

The Gees went up 21-19 after an attack went long by Laval, and were looking to close out the second set. But the Rouge et Or wouldn’t go away, as the Gee-Gees clung to a 23-22 lead. A huge attack by Laval tied the game at 24 apiece. Both teams were soon tied 25 each, and after a series of great plays by Roy to keep the ball in play the Gees scored to go up 26-25. They couldn’t finish it on the next point, but won the set once the Rouge et Or found the net.

The third set started out no differently than the first two with both teams exchanging points, the Rouge et Or 11-10. Laval started to pull away from the Gees as they went up 19-15, then pulled off a 6-1 run to take the game 25-16.

The Gees scored the first three points of the set and Caroline Lemay had a great spike to give the Garnet and Grey a 4-1 lead. Laval responded quickly and it was all tied up at five.

Lemay continued to play a major role in the Gee-Gees’ offensive system, scoring another big spike to make the score 10-8 Gees. A great block by Laval put them back on top 16-15 after trailing for most of the set up to then. Laval kept their slight lead at 22-19. The Rouge et Or then closed off the game with a 25-20 final set.

The Garnet and Grey continue to have no success against the beasts of the RSEQ. The Gees now sit 10 points behind Laval for third place in their conference.

The Gee-Gees next home game will take place on Jan. 2 at 2 p.m. at Montpetit hall as they take on the Sherbrooke Vert et Or.