Leo’s long anticipated win awakens world to environmental phenomenon

Leonardo DiCaprio finally did what so many people had thought was never going to happen for him—he managed to become even more successful and well known than he already was. The actor, and former dad bod and man bun ambassador, won Best Actor for his role in The Revenant.

Aside from finally being recognized as a talented actor by an Academy of old white people (mostly men), Leo’s win has spurred a movement that finally recognizes the environmental turmoil our planet is experiencing.

During his acceptance speech the actor took the time to comment on global warming and its impact on the environment, and everything rapidly changed from there.

For starters, both Canada and the United States’ leaders quickly declared a state of emergency in response to Leo’s prophetic words. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that he didn’t have any idea why his Minister of Environment and Climate Change had forgotten the latter end of the title, however he is hopeful that he can snag Leo as a new addition to his Cabinet.

“Who could be better for the job?” said President Barack Obama when he caught wind of Trudeau’s plan to recruit Leo. “He did trek through the wilderness for like three hours in The Revenant. Obviously he’s very in tune with nature, so he knows what he’s talking about.”

Obama denied to provide comment to the Tomato on whether his administration had already secured the rights to Leo’s environmental prowess.

But it’s not just Parliament Hill that’s feeling the ripples of Leo’s impact. Cities around the world are in an uproar after the speech as citizens realize that climate change is real, and begin to panic about its effects.

“How am I supposed to calmly go to class, and do work, without worrying about this issue now that I know that islands like Kiribati, and the Maldives are in danger of being completely submerged?” said Garth Bennett, a second-year geography student at the University of Ottawa.

Now that Leo has finally received a national stage, the world is finally aware of the impending danger of climate change. “We would have given him an award years ago if we knew it would have such a beneficial effect,” said Cheryl Boone Isaacs, president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Student groups on the U of O campus are now desperately trying to reach Leo for comment regarding his stance on fossil fuel divestment, in hopes of finding leverage for their petitions against the university.

Only time will tell if Leo is correct about this phenomenon he calls “Climate Change”, but one thing’s for sure—his speech was a great ice breaker for such a heated topic.