Uncategorized

The Fulcrum‘s list of Ottawa’s best spots

A UNIVERSITY CAMPUS can be like a safety blanket. Yes, it provides comfort and familiarity with its convenient meal plans and residence facilities, but at some point you have to let go of that sense of security and check out the rest of the city.

In a highly unpolled and unofficial compilation of hotspots, here are some of the Fulcrum’s recommendations for nearby food and fun:

Free Thing in the Nation’s Capital: Question Period

Where is it? Parliament Hill (111 Wellington St.)

While you’re living in the capital, take the time to see our federal government in action. Watch your Member of Parliament work for you and see the inside of the House of Commons. Check out the House of Commons calendar for dates and times on the Parliament of Canada’s website.—Sabrina Nemis

First Date: The Manx 

Where is it? 370 Elgin St.

This quaint little basement pub is the ideal setting for a cozy meal with a first date or for catching up with friends. The food is spectacular—try the spring rolls— and the drinks are fairly priced, making the Manx a must-visit spot.
—Tori Dudys

Comic Book Shop: Silver Snail Comics

Where is it? 391 Bank St.

Tired of reading your textbooks? Replace those intellectually heavy books with light comic reads or horrific graphic novels. The selection at Silver Snail is superb, but what makes the experience unique is the upbeat and incredibly helpful staff. They offer you great suggestions based on comics you’ve already enjoyed. Plus, they frequently update their website with weekly staff picks and other goodies.
—Tori Dudys

Mexican Food: Burrito Burracho

Where is it? 105 Clarence St.

Burrito lovers can have it all at Burrito Borracho, which translates to “lazy burrito.” The name is fitting, since the Mexican restaurant will pack you so full you can hardly move. Take your pick of main toppings, garnishes, and sauces—there are five in order of spiciness—or have it all and take on the notorious Big Juan.
—Adam Feibel

Bakery: Rideau Bakery

Where is it? 384 Rideau St.

From blocks away, the smell of the Rideau Bakery is enticing. Freshly baked bread, rolls, pastries, and pies are mouthwatering upon first glance, and oh so delicious when you actually taste them. Give 48-hours notice to get a custom cake made for a birthday or any other occasion.
—Tori Dudys

Vegan Food: Zen Kitchen

Where is it? 634 Somerset St. W

It’s hard to go wrong with ethically sourced eats and live jazz music on Sundays. Zen Kitchen offers a variety of vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free foods for all of your dietary needs. It’s fairly expensive, so save this spot for a date or a nice night out with friends.
—Tori Dudys