Uncategorized

Annalise Mathers | Fulcrum Contributor

IT MAY SEEM like all your friends are going home for reading week, but people will still be heading out to the city streets to embrace some of the frigid wintery days that Ottawa is so well known for. Don’t miss out! Cast those textbooks aside and take the opportunity to catch up on everything the city has to offer—after all, who really studies during reading week?

Friday, Feb. 15
Here’s a homework assignment for you (don’t worry, it’s an easy one!): Today is the start of Ottawa Kindness Week, so go out of your way to do something nice for someone this week—you never know when it will pay off.
For those who didn’t get much action on the day of love yesterday, you can be sure to find kindred lonely hearts tonight! If you feel like leaving it all out on the dance floor, try a club in Hull like Addiction where you’ll be sure to pick up someone. For a more casual scene, head to Heart and Crown or Patty Boland’s in the ByWard Market for live music and drinks. You can also meander down to Oh So Good at 25 York St. to savour a dessert that is sure to be sweeter than your Valentine’s Day. It might not help your heart, but your stomach will thank you.
This weekend, ski’s up! The 35th annual Gatineau Loppet is a series of long-distance cross-country ski races through Gatineau Park for skiers from all over the world. It’s a good chance to enjoy the great outdoors or to grab some friends and try out some eight-metre skis. To see the event schedule, check out Gatineauloppet.com.

Saturday, Feb. 16
The first annual WinterBrewed Festival is running this weekend on Sparks Street, where you can sip craft beer, listen to live music, check out the huge snowman-building competition, and enjoy the pleasures of the sugar bush in the heart of downtown.
After indulging in some good beer and sweet treats, check out a Beatles tribute band playing from Feb. 14 to 16 at the National Arts Centre (53 Elgin St.). Student live rush tickets are $12.
If you’re more interested in an action-packed event, support the U of O’s men’s basketball team as they seek revenge in the rematch game of Capital Hoops. Bring your Gee-Gees swag, noisemakers, body paint, and energy to cheer the teams on to redemption against the Carleton Ravens. For the rematch, students can get their tickets at the door for $6 or purchase them online at Geegees.ca.

Sunday, Feb. 17
Grab your skates and mosey on down to the canal; it’s the best way to get to Kettleman’s. Haven’t heard of the bagel shop? It’s the best (and only!) place to grab a freshly baked Montreal-style bagel. Simply get off the ice at Bank Street, about halfway between the U of O and Carleton, and walk across the bridge to Kettleman’s. When the bagel is paired with a warm drink, you’ll be ready to face the canal again soon!
If you’d rather stay close to downtown, hit up La Bottega at 64 George St. Their claim to fame? Enormous sandwiches made on the spot with fresh deli meat and buns. They’re only six bucks a pop and will keep you going on a cold day. Double up and grab some groceries for the week from their extensive options of Italian ingredients.
With the NHL back in full swing, there’s no excuse if you haven’t seen a Sens game at Scotiabank Place yet! Round up all your friends who are sticking it out in Ottawa for your choice of a round of home games on the 19th, 21st, 23rd, and 25th of February. Cheap student tickets are available through the university at Geegees.ca.