Uncategorized

Annalise Mathers | Fulcrum Contributor

WELCOME, ONE AND all, to the home stretch of school. We’ve got six weeks left until exams, and while hitting the books is imminent, make sure you take the time to check out some of the amazing events happening on campus and throughout the city. This weekend’s rundown will get you back into gear for the last half of the semester.

Friday, March 1
After that first gruelling week post-break, no one will blame you for wanting a fun night out. For those who missed Ottawa Fashion Week, the Strut Away Lupus fashion show has got you covered. The show is hosted by Her Campus U Ottawa, and admission is $17. You can buy tickets at 7 p.m. Friday outside of room 4007 in the Social Sciences Building. Don that dress or suit you’ve been storing in your closet and come out for a night complete with all the trimmings: music and dance performances, drinks at a cash bar, a silent auction, and more—all captured by a professional photographer. Check out the Facebook group or email [email protected] for more information.
Depending on how you’re feeling post-fashion show, you have several options: you can go to The Drink for the after-party, to Union Station Pub for the Canadian Cancer Society Relay for Life fundraiser (get your tickets at the SFUO office in the university centre for $5), or for a casual drink at 1848 if you’re feeling a more low-key night. Take your pick—wherever you end up will be sure to be busy with students celebrating the end of the first week back from reading break.

Saturday, March 2
Missing your mom’s breakfasts? Feeling the pangs of a hangover from last night? Head down to Cora on Rideau for a breakfast on par with home cooking. It might be a bit pricey, but the fresh fruit and massive servings will satisfy your Saturday-morning munchies and leave your stomach settled to get in some studying before round two tonight.
If your textbooks aren’t quite serving up the humour you’re in the mood for, grab some cheap, last-minute student tickets at the National Arts Centre to see Just for Laughs comedian Jeremy Hotz. Alternatively, all the secret romantics searching for a quiet night can catch the last showing of Pride and Prejudice at the Ottawa Little Theatre on the corner of King Edward Avenue and Rideau Street. Students get a great rate of $12 to see this live performance of Jane Austen’s classic novel.
The two-hour play will be over just after 10 p.m., so you’ve got lots of time to grab a sweet treat in the ByWard Market. Stay classy and stroll over to Play Food & Wine at 1 York St. The desserts feature exotic and delicious flavour combinations (hint: try the crème brûlée), and each has a recommended wine pairing for those so inclined to splurge.

Sunday, March 3
Take the morning to get in some of that exercise your body is craving. Stay close to campus and try one of the great fitness classes at either of the university gyms (see the fitness class schedule at Geegees.ca). Want to get off campus? You can go to the Lululemon store in the Rideau Centre for some free yoga at 9:30 a.m. It’s the best way to start your day and relax before the next week of school.
After you freshen up, take a stroll down into the ByWard Market and wander through the vendor stalls. Browse through some of the cute shops along Sussex Drive (no one said you had to buy anything!) and be sure to stop at Roadtrip. Tucked in between George and York Street, in the Market, the store is at 24B York St. With spring on its way, you can grab a pair of new Hunter or Tretorn rain boots along with some new threads to get excited for the warmer weather. Stop in for a cup of tea at the Tea Store on York Street or grab some hot chocolate from the grocery store to savour tonight with your roommates!
Monday morning, start your week bright-eyed and bushy-tailed with some free coffee—just bring your own mug to the University Centre outside the bookstore.