photo courtesy Sean Done

ANNE-MARIE ROY, WHO ran unopposed for Student Federation of the University of Ottawa (SFUO) vp communications in the 2012–13 elections, who received 3,641 votes according to preliminary results.

Despite having to wait hours for the results—and then being interrupted by a fire alarm causing the evacuation of the University Centre terminus—Roy expressed enthusiasm over her win.

“I am very excited,” she said. “I really want to continue working for students, representing them, and continuing the great work that the SFUO has started in the past years … I think it’s going to be a great year.”

Roy said she wants to re-evaluate the students’ needs when she gets into office.

“My priority is going to be meeting all of the student groups on campus, whether it be in terms of departments of the SFUO, the federated bodies, or the clubs,” she said. “Basically to evaluate and assess their needs in terms of promotion, communication, and students reaching out to their members, then coming back to the marketing department and coming up with a game plan.”

Roy said she looks forward to working with students and focusing evergy on student communication and engagement.

According to Roy, revamping the website will be her biggest challenge, though she’s up for it

“I really want to do something great with the website,” she said. “It’s been a big point on my platform, and a really big point on this campaign. So I really hope that it will turn into something that will trigger long-term student engagement.

Although Roy was affiliated with Amalia Savva, Adam Gilani, Marie-Claude Noël, Liz Kessler, and Tasha Peters throughout the election period, Roy said she has no qualms about working with Ethan Plato, Jozef Spiteri, and Kate Hudson in the coming academic year.

“I am going to work with the mandate that students gave me,” she said, “And I’m sure that if Jozef is the candidate that students want to see at the vp social, then I will work with him, and I’m sure that we’ll have a great year together.

—Spencer Van Dyk