The Fulcrum is now hiring a news editor! To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume, a detailed cover letter, and 2 unedited pieces of writing by Nov. 17 2018 at 5 P.M.
All considered applicants will be invited to write a knowledge and editing test. Those who pass will be contacted for an interview.
- Find six relevant, and timely news stories to cover for your section each week
- Cover a range of news topics relating to the University of Ottawa with a spotlight on student politics (knowledge of SFUO mandatory. Knowledge of BOG and Senate an asset)
- Cover breaking news stories relating to the University of Ottawa or the City of Ottawa
- Edit content, structure, and style of all submitted copy for the news section
- Regularly attend staff, volunteer and Editorial Board meetings
- Assign articles to contributors and associate news editor
- Ensure production deadlines are met for monthly print issues
- Work with the visual editor to come up with art ideas to accompany news stories
- Work with the Editor-in-Chief, Videographer, and the Social Media Manager to develop an online strategy that integrates the news section with the website, including but not limited to social media use, video content, live tweeting, podcasting, and alternative story forms
Check back next year for more job opportunities, or email email@example.com to learn about our freelancing program!